2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What siize do yall mainly use and is it easy to do some long distance casting if you dont have a yak? Thanks..

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you want something you can cast a 4/0 (113H) is a good choice. Or you could go with a 4/0wide (112HLW). It is hard to cast a 6/0. I have a 3/0 wich I love but it is a little on the light side for the surf.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Other Options..

There are quite a few of us who use the 555GS for a lot of surf casting. There is also the older Jigmasters in two flavors, the original 500 series as well as the ball bearing 505 model. Some prefer the 505 but my personal favorite of the two is the 500S model. You can pick them up on E-Bay for around 35 bucks. They have a red anodized aluminum spool and will hold a decent amount of 30# line.

If you decide to go this route or the 555 route, you can always increase your capacity with the use of one of the braided super lines, like Power Pro, ect. On the 555, for example you can get 300 yds of 65# PP, and still have room to top it off with over 100 yds of 40# big game. It will cast pleanty far and you have the extra backing. Same for the Jigmaster.

Some folks add magnets to the 555 as well as the Jigmasters to aid in the casting, thats a personal decision. In the 505 JM I can see the added help, but with the other two a good thumb is all that is really needed if you have been casting for a while.

There are a lot of good options out there now days, you just need to decide on what your primiary target will be. If you can afford it then pick your rigs based on situational or targeted species. If your limited to just one or two rigs then go with something like the 555 which will allow you to catch most things that swim along our coast, but will be marginal for anything over about 6 feet long.

Later,
SR

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm for me that 500s sound good because of price , does penn sell something like rebuild kits ?? I have never went shark fishing so i would be happy catching anything under 3 foot lol.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
About the only thing you need to replace on most "Ebay" Penn reels, is the drag washers. That shouldn't cost but a couple of $ and is always a good idea for any used reel you add to you tackle collection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.