2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
penn 209 rebuild - 12/27/09

this is another post that is long overdue. here is our reel, a basic, stock penn 209.

we're going to start with the left side plate. all we have to do be back out each of the left side plate screws (key #'s 32 and 38), one at a time.

add a bead of grease to each screw or screw hole, but do this one screw at a time.

now back out each of the right side plate screws (key #32 and 38) and set them aside.

at this point, the reels separates multiple pieces.

lightly grease the clamp screws (key #34), then reassemble the rod clamp assembly.

this reel is not going to win any distance casting competitions, so we'll lube the left side bushing (key #40) with corrosion x.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=659.0

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
I always enjoy reading your "how to" post Alan from all the various reels you work on..

Thank you for posting them

Hog

·
Humble Wet Liner
597 Posts
Mine always die when the dog tooth spring on the anti reverse gets crunched when trying to put it in gear with the spool spinning at 30 to 40 mph. I always have fun changing it out. Do you have a how to photo series on that? What about the worm gear and the pawl? I have also burned up some HT 100 drags as well. The 209 is not my favorite reel but I do have some from the 1950's. Im still using them.

R

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think that you will find that the "shock" to the reel is much less with greased carbon fiber drag washers.

·
Humble Wet Liner
597 Posts
I grease them with some special lube. I do not know if they are carbon fiber or HT 100 I just get them from the PennParts. I am sure Im abusing them with 40lb test on Hoos, AJ's and the such. It is amazing how hot they can get in a good dog fight. Until recently (say the last 5 years or so) a 209 was my "big reel". I have others now but I do still take the 209's on every adventure.

R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts