2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 113 off of e-bay and when you take it out of free spool the handle still turns and the spool does not lock?? I know this is not the "Equipment" forum but I know a lot of ya'll are good at fixin' reels so I figured I'd post up a question. I know those reels are not very complicated but should I tear into the reel or let someone fix it for me??? Thanks for any input.. If you have any links to any sites that show how to take them apart in detail that would be great.If you think you know what is wrong I am not a dummy and have taken apart my 5500 Ambass reels and my Okuma 45's and a couple others but never dove into a Penn.. Thanks in advance..Hank

·
Registered
549 Posts
I KNOW I KNOW...
Tighten the drag,
Turn the handle (listen for the dog to catch on the gear, if it does not, repair/replace)
Pull the plate with the hardware off, there are 4 screws that hold the gears to the frame, the two clossest to the middle should have threads at the tip but not in the middle, while the other 2 are threaded the whole way.(I have had this done to my reel TWICE)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Hank I sent you a PM.

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pm's as wellas the link to thehulltruth.. That was pretty detailed.. I will dig into it tomorrow.. What is the best grease to use. I also thought I read that you coat all the drag washers in grease??? Is this the case..Thanks again..Hank

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Greasing the drag washers will make the drag smoother.
It will also cut your max drag pressure considerable.
I don't recommend it. Neither does Penn.

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after talking with gundoctor on the phone and the pics on the hull truth I fixed it..It was toooo much dirty/thick grease on the dog and the little spring. I cleaned it all of and re-greased it all. I can hear the Dog clicking now when I reel and before I could not..Thanks again. I paid $50 for the reel on e-bay and the guy is sending me $30 back because it is not working proprerly..Not too bad. ABout 15 minutes of work and the reel is as good as new and I will only end up paying $20 for the reel and $10 for shipping...Not a bad deal if you ask me..Thanks again for the info.. I regreased my other PENN reels after I fixed the broken one. Only one of them needed it. the other 3 were pretty good. This forum rocks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts