2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy on craigslist who has hundreds and hundreds of pen blanks and turning wood left in his home by the previous owner. Just thought I would give you guys the heads up. Might be the deal of a lifetime for some of you turners. Call this guy and offer to take it all off his hands....

http://houston.craigslist.org/art/4832950602.html

"Selling high quality raw wood and pen blanks. Plenty of raw wood for a wood turning lathe. Left in house by previous owner and must sell! Plenty of uses! Can be cut down with a table saw, router or made in to signs or pictures with a laser cutter. Examples of wood on hand include: Burled Walnut, Maple, Pecan, American oak, and plenty of exotics! I easily have over 300 types of wood in pen blanks, plus acrylics, please inquire! Plenty of plastic totes filled with wood blanks. $ Prices will be for contents only, exotics and larger pieces are negotiable. Each container varies in number and exotic count slightly. I have rough inventories, so I can look for specific wood types and "build" totes to order."

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
We've emailed back and forth a few times and I made him an offer last night but haven't heard back from him. We'll see.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
he finally emailed me this morning

I had said I might be interested in purchasing the whole thing.

he said he'd rather piece it out and make more money.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
"Left in house by previous owner and must sell!"

MUST SELL turned into Highest offer LOL

·
Banned
1,036 Posts
By the time he is done fielding dozens of phone calls from "tire kickers" on craigslist he is going to wish he sold the entire lot for a decent profit. I bet he re-posts several times and then is ready to sell the entire lot...

We will see

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Yeah, I think he's trying to get retail for something he got for free. He's going to be surprised when he sells all the good stuff and gets stuck with the leftovers. He's going to have a hassle with a bunch of folks coming by and picking through his stuff.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Update - got another reply from him. Turned down my trade offer (wanted retail for his and cut mine in half). Came back again and like Speckle-Catcher said, he'd rather sell everything by the piece. He feels he can get over $1,000 for the larger slabs but that's the only price he's mentioned. I wished him luck and, like on the Shark Tank, I'M OUT. PS, anybody got a load of termites we could give him? :)

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He never returned my email either. But let him deal with a bunch more emails, and phone calls from scammers on Craigslist for a while and his attitude will change.

I was hoping someone on here was going to walk away with a "steal" but it looks like this guy thinks he won the lotto.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
he did finally return my email. I'm going out there on Saturday.

Foggy - you wanna go with? I may swing by and pick up George.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
he did finally return my email. I'm going out there on Saturday.

Foggy - you wanna go with? I may swing by and pick up George.
Do you know if he has sold any of it? The impression I got was that he hasn't sold a single stick. Good luck to you and looking forward to hearing your results.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Don't know - he takes a very long time to respond to emails.

He works in a restaurant - because he mentioned having to work brunch on Sunday.

I'm hoping he'll see cash and take an offer on the whole lot.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
He might but it may take more cash than you're willing to part with. He thinks he's sitting on the mother lode and is expecting to get over a grand for the big slabs alone. He's supposed to have around 300 pen blanks that range from $1.00 to astronomical. I just got tired of dealing with him since he wouldn't quote a price (other than for the slabs) and acted like he expected retail for everything. It will be interesting to see how you come out.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
I'm sure he is thinking big $$$$ Even changed his post.

Selling high quality raw wood and pen blanks. Plenty of raw wood for a wood turning lathe. Left in house by previous owner and must sell! Plenty of uses! Can be cut down with a table saw, router or made in to signs or pictures with a laser cutter. Examples of wood on hand include: Burled Walnut, Maple, Pecan, American oak, and some exotics! I easily have over 200 types of wood in pen blanks. Plenty of plastic totes filled with pen blanks. $ Prices $ will be for contents only. Pen blanks are generally $1 each, but may be more depending on burls, spalted, etc. I am not looking to sell the entire lot in one sale. I have built plenty of boxes to order depending on the amount someone wished to spend.

Pen blanks are generally $1 each---how would he know what they generally are priced at?

I still think there was no previous owner. I bet talking with him would result in the truth in less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
So now you tell him how much you want to spend and he tells you which box you can have? Lot of questions about this guy.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now you tell him how much you want to spend and he tells you which box you can have? Lot of questions about this guy.
I don't doubt his story. He probably just started searching the internet, added up all the + signs and came up with a retail number.

Nobody pays "retail" on Craigslist and it is not worth anyones time to deal with this guy if he is going to charge retail.

Once again this guy is going to get tired of selling this for 10.00 here and 20.00 there really, really quick.

My bet is he spends a month gets sick of it and sells the remaining bulk on the cheap...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts