2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
bayoulady55
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants a pellet gun for Christmas and I know nothing about them. He said a good one costs around $150. What constitutes a "good" one? Scope? FPS? HELP please...He is a good hunter so I can't get by with a slingshot...lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check out Pyramydair.com, they are the largest on line dealer. Check out the reviews and blog. FPS is NOT the most important thing. Accuracy is. A pellet becomes unstable at much above 950 FPS, thus inaccurate. It is a BS selling point much like megapixels in cameras. I would not get one with a scope as the scopes they come with are not very good. Gamo sells some ok entry level rifles. Be careful, there are a lot of junk pellet guns on the market.

·
Registered
853 Posts
2 cents

Check out Pyramydair.com, they are the largest on line dealer. Check out the reviews and blog. FPS is NOT the most important thing. Accuracy is. A pellet becomes unstable at much above 950 FPS, thus inaccurate. It is a BS selling point much like megapixels in cameras. I would not get one with a scope as the scopes they come with are not very good. Gamo sells some ok entry level rifles. Be careful, there are a lot of junk pellet guns on the market.
I agree on no scope. I shoot 5mm Sheridans (the old good ones) with "iron sights" and they are plenty accurate. Scopes on pellet guns are a selling point. I have shot some with scopes and honestly, I saw no improvement in accuracy.

BTW, Johnny Quest, I have 2 Sheridans that need new seals installed. They are my 2 originals (40+ yrs in service, the other 2 are still kicking). Where can I get this done?

·
bayoulady55
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep it coming gentlemen. I really appreciate the links. I am trying to figure out a way to bring up the subject again to narrow it down to a pistol or rifle style.

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
You can get a pretty sweet scoped Gamo for under $150. .
2nd the GAMO .. I bought a Gamo Big CAT 1200 for my wife a while back.. and liked it so much i bought another one for myself. If you use their "PBA" ammo it'll shoot 1200fps and you'll here a "pop" kinda like a .22 when the pellet goes supersonic

it's a blast for plinking and and small game hunting (althought i don;t think you can hunt small game with an air rifle in TX) ... i've killed several squirrels and a Large feral cat that was killing/eating one of my chickens with my gamo...

I also recall a thread in the hunting forum a while back where somone took a coyote with a gamo whisper .. which is the same as my big cat, but has a silencer

·
Still trying to figure it all out
10,501 Posts
Watch the video on this page:

http://www.hunterextreme.com/

I prefer the break action or side lever spring guns. They are quieter, require no pumping, just a single cocking action. I use an older Beeman Feinwerkbau 124 with a Leupold scope. Deadly on birds, rats and squirrels.

·
Banned
330 Posts
I have a benjamin 22 cal that I might part with if you are interested. Practically new rifle. hasn't deen a full can of pellets through it yet. I will even include the rest of the can of pellets, a scope mount and scope rings.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
I have an old Sheridan 5mm (.20 cal) that is dead nutz on. I've had since I was a kid. I've taken 1000's of birds with it, rabbits, squirrels and feral cats too.

I recent bought my wife a Gamo but I'm not too impressed with it. It does not consistently group.

I like the Sheridan because I can vary the pressure by the number of pumps. Comes in handy when I have to blast marauding Starlings and house sparrows off the wife's Purple Martin house.

Reactions: MEGABITE

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
red rider? Thats what I shoot when I can get it away from the kids! Fun fun fun. Gammo is good stuff as well but Jonny is the man on the subject!

·
Pier fisherman - Firewood guy.
1,695 Posts
Get a Gamo. You can find them at cheaperthandirt.com

Gamo is a much better gun than the Sheridan, Beeman and Crossman.

Just one pump and its ready.

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
you'll shoot yer eye out. ;)

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
For 150.00 Its gunna be rough. The Gamo's are great after ya spend 35.00 for the trigger upgrade, then mabey a lube tune for another 100.00..
If its just for plinkin. I would get a bam b-26 from Mike Melic at flying dragon air guns... Around 189.00 already tuned and it comes with a recork trigger copy.. It is essentialy a Beeman r-9 which is really a Herbert Wierach german made quality gun... Of coarse its a chinese clone of the super german r-9, but they cut no corners and put out a fantastic rifle...
Bam is located here in houston and is a supplier.. Mike Melic is the sales end.. great guy and great gun for a very cheap price.. I own 3 of them.. .177, .20, .22 cal.
http://www.airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/

·
Registered
853 Posts
And....

I have an old Sheridan 5mm (.20 cal) that is dead nutz on. I've had since I was a kid. I've taken 1000's of birds with it, rabbits, squirrels and feral cats too.

I recent bought my wife a Gamo but I'm not too impressed with it. It does not consistently group.

I like the Sheridan because I can vary the pressure by the number of pumps. Comes in handy when I have to blast marauding Starlings and house sparrows off the wife's Purple Martin house.
I also "vary the FPS" (slow it down) when I need to encourage a stubborn bull to move along, give the random stray dog a reason to keep moving on down the road and to rid the martin house of of rif-raf without putting holes in it. I had to snicker on that on LandPirate as I do the same. But when something needs to die, 8 pumps and it's dead.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
For 150.00 Its gunna be rough. The Gamo's are great after ya spend 35.00 for the trigger upgrade, then mabey a lube tune for another 100.00..
If its just for plinkin. I would get a bam b-26 from Mike Melic at flying dragon air guns... Around 189.00 already tuned and it comes with a recork trigger copy.. It is essentialy a Beeman r-9 which is really a Herbert Wierach german made quality gun... Of coarse its a chinese clone of the super german r-9, but they cut no corners and put out a fantastic rifle...
Bam is located here in houston and is a supplier.. Mike Melic is the sales end.. great guy and great gun for a very cheap price.. I own 3 of them.. .177, .20, .22 cal.
http://www.airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/
I knew all that! :slimer::spineyes:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Watch the video on this page:

http://www.hunterextreme.com/

I prefer the break action or side lever spring guns. They are quieter, require no pumping, just a single cocking action. I use an older Beeman Feinwerkbau 124 with a Leupold scope. Deadly on birds, rats and squirrels.
x2....the break action and side lever are both spring powered as opposed to pump up...the spring powered are much quieter. The spring ,when released ,shoves a piston down the cylinder,shoving the air thru a small orifice behind the pellet.....the pump up releases the charge of air all at once ,causing a POP equal in sound to a 22. My neighbors never hear anything when I'm shooting my RWS 45 in the backyard.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts