2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a pellet grill , to go with my new man cave. Always liked the idea of cooking over wood and they say these things are crazy efficient. My only problem is that I am single and much of the time I am cooking for 1. So many of the options are a little overkill. The brand I am thinking of is Green Mountain. They are American -made and I have heard their support and customer service is great. I am thinking of the smallest (Davie Crockett") model, which is also portable....even though that aspect is not so important, but you never know when it might come in handy.

My big question is, if these pellet grills aren't more of a smoker than a pure grill? I cook a lot of food at high heat, to sear it and keep the juices in. And for some seafoods I don't want a ton of smoke flavor, as it will overpower the natural flavor of the meat/fish/seafood. So can you cook on high with the hood open? Can you get this high heat throughout the whole cooking area?

Hoping the 2Cool gurus can help. Thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I bought Pit Boss for the same reason you are looking. Ive cooked brisket, ribs, burgers, fish. No steaks. It does have this little plate that I can slide over to cook directly over flame.

As far as fish and seafood, I didnt think it was overpowering. It isnt overpowering smoke an any food.

Its designed to be used with a closed lid. Leaving it open would cause the flame to get really big. There is a thermo couple that tells it when to stop feeding pellets to control the temp.

I like it because I can wait 5 min and its ready to cook. When Im done cooking, I turn it off and thats all the wood I use.

Do it!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have the Daniel Boone version and the maximum temp is 500F. Love cooking with it and the smoke is not over powering unless you cook at low temp for extended time. Cooked many a steak on it that were perfect.

·
Native Texan
10,980 Posts
I have a bunch of cookers because I like different meats cooked different ways. I have a Traeger and it is very good with all "smoked" meats (ribs, chicken, pork butt and brisket) and also very good with prepared dishes that you smoke. We do a smoked mac and cheese that is very good. The Treager does not produce a large amount of smoke, which I generally prefer. Temp settings are variable and accurate to within a few degrees. I like mine as it has a WiFi connection and app on my phone, I can control the temp from anywhere I have cell phone service. Really nice when we have company and we are out playing golf, etc for several hours. Put the meat on and let it cook and monitor the temp the whole time. No tending the fire.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Pellet smokers are fantastic for convenience. But for a real smoked BBQ, they just don’t compete with stick burners. IMHO. I have a camp chef. Works great. Just cannot produce as good a result as my Weber kettle.
But some people find a heavy smoke flavor as overwhelming. That said, I haven’t used the Weber in awhile, cuz the Camp Chef is so dang ez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
Have a Traeger that is 10 years old it is great for smoking but for grilling steaks if it gets to 500 degrees when you open the lid the temp drops to 300.Just don't get the sear that I like.
There is a grill by Masterbuilt that uses charcoal either lump or briquets claims 700 degrees has great reviews but don't know anyone that has one.

·
Native Texan
10,980 Posts
I cook steaks and burgers on an aluminum PK charcoal grill. My favorite way to cook them is reverse sear. In the oven until 120+- internal, pull apply a generous helping of butter to the steak and let it rest for 10 minutes and then sear on the charcoal grill, about 2 min per side. Almost perfect 135 internal med rare every time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a traeger and a Kamado Joe. The pellet smoker is a very convenient smoker and is effortless. It does not have the smoke flavor of a stick burner or charcoal, but I can still make a fine brisket on it. For grilling, I use the charcoal Kamado, getting temps 500 - 900. The kamado is also pretty efficient as a smoker, holding stable temps for quite a while. But for ease of use, I typically use the traeger for smoking.

However, keep your shopvac handy, the pellet smokers need to be vacuumed and clean regularly. With all that, the combination of the Kamado and Traeger are a nice combination to cook just about anything.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
I am thinking of buying a pellet grill , to go with my new man cave. Always liked the idea of cooking over wood and they say these things are crazy efficient. My only problem is that I am single and much of the time I am cooking for 1. So many of the options are a little overkill. The brand I am thinking of is Green Mountain. They are American -made and I have heard their support and customer service is great. I am thinking of the smallest (Davie Crockett") model, which is also portable....even though that aspect is not so important, but you never know when it might come in handy.

My big question is, if these pellet grills aren't more of a smoker than a pure grill? I cook a lot of food at high heat, to sear it and keep the juices in. And for some seafoods I don't want a ton of smoke flavor, as it will overpower the natural flavor of the meat/fish/seafood. So can you cook on high with the hood open? Can you get this high heat throughout the whole cooking area?

Hoping the 2Cool gurus can help. Thanks.
They really are not designed to cook with the lid open. They cook with indirect heat so when the lid is open they become very inefficient.
Get a Weber or something like that for direct heat cooking.
I have a stick burner, Yoder 640 pellet, a Hasty Bake, a PK, and Several drums. They all do different things and serve their purposes.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have a RecTec that I will sell. bought in October. Works great.

Looks like this.

·
Charter Member
5,936 Posts
Just my 2 cents...
I have a Traeger that is about 6-7 years old. I forget. I am the kind of guy that has other things to do besides sitting around the pit all day drinking beer watching the temps. :) It's just not my thing.

With a remote thermometer, I can let the pellet smoker do its thing while I work in the office on the computer, or do other things out in the shop.

I have run several cooks overnight (for brisket an/or pork butts). The remote has an alarm that will go off if the temp drops below a certain setting. Good for those midnight flame outs! :)

So I guess it's what you like to do.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Stick burning offset smoker for me. I drilled and tapped some holes in the back and added some temperature probes and a monitoring system. I can still do other projects while it's running as long as I am nearby. I usually stoke it and it will run for ~45 minutes before I have to add wood. I only watch the fire and drink beer when that's what I have decided to do with my day . And sometimes that's the break that I need.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Several guys I work with have Rec-Tecs... They all love them.. and I have had some of the best brisket ever off of one of them, several times. this includes the top places around Austin and friends who do competition.. I have held off for a year or so holding off until they have more time on them. Will be buying a RT700 along with the Bullseye for quick and hot stuff

·
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, for all the replies! I think I heard what I was suspecting all along....so a pellet grill isn't for me right now. Charcoal and wood will be the way to go for direct (high) heat. Thanks all again....Rick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts