2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have historically used hickory but just grabbed a big bag of pecan as well. Just looking for some feedback on what foods are better for a pecan smoke.

I also eyeballed cherry and peach wood but gonna take them one at a time.

Would like to hear some feedback from those with firsthand experience.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I prefer Pecan wood over all others personally. I use it on my ribs and brisket and will combine pecan with a bit of apple wood for my pulled pork. Seems to be a bit milder and smoother flavor to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
10,969 Posts
We use mostly oak. Red and post. Some pecan, but we cut and split all of ours. Hickory only a few times. As has been said, the pecan is mild, the hickory strongest of these and the oak in the middle. For me, I can't tolerate the hickory, too much smoke flavor. The pecan not quite enough most of the time. So oak works best for us. It is also convenient that it is the most plentiful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All of them

I personally like Mesquite, but some find that a bit strong. So some years back I started mixing hickory or fruit woods with it and that seems to mellow it out a bit. The more fruit wood that you use, it seems, the sweeter or more mellow the flavor.

Hope my 2 cents is worth having. Play with it awhile until you find what you like. Hickory and pecan are what we use when we slow smoke our fresh homemade sausage every winter.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,147 Posts
Back in the day when I stick burned I used Pecan on everything, loved the sweet flavor it gave the chicken, pork and Brisket.

I had an endless supply at the time and that was the best part.

John

·
The C-LISTERS are coming
6,713 Posts
1/2 mesquite and 1/2 pecan makes for some great chicken. Mesquite for steaks and anything else you want grilled hot and hickory or pecan for pork or hickory/oak. oak and or mesquite for briskets. try experimenting with different combos and you will be surprised. Also keep some apple and cherry chips around.

·
Pike
4,489 Posts
For pork, chicken, and fish, I like to use hard Maple. Sometimes add in a fruit wood. Oak for beef.

Any of you ever use Maple?

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
I have used maple. I had a fella in VA that would ship. Great with seafood i think.

If it's my choice, I do this..

Pork- 2 parts Apple to 1 part Hickory.

Beef- 2 parts Cherry to 1 part Pecan

Poultry- I like Peach here.

Briskets -I do like Oak here. That Cherry/Pecan mix is really good though.

I have tried orange and well..it sure is orangey. Not bad but not what I'd prefer.

But if it's a big cook on one pit, I like straight pecan as it kinda goes with anything.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
SWTx... mostly mesquite.. but if in the rougher parts... live oak...
good dry aged wood..
we tend to go slightly more robust than the average SETx suburbanite....

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
I like pecan. it has a unique smell to it, for sure. It is somewhat light and sweet. I mostly use post oak though. mixing in a split of pecan with a post oak cook is a nice mix.

Williams firewood on Pinemont has a very good supply of BBQ wood if anybody needs a great source.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm personally a fan of the pecan/oak mix. I like the flavor of the pecan and use the oak for the extra heat as it will typically burn longer and hotter in my experience.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
east Tx post oak
live oak
hickory
pecan

in that order for long smokes, nothing green and the bark knocked off as much as poss.

pecan rots on the ground, it really needs to be stacked up in a rack that gets air flow and no moisture.

mesquite is fine for burgers, chops and steaks and cut up chicken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts