2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 15 1986 whaler back from pearland marine and they said they couldn't find any problems with it. I had told my dad of the problems before he took it there and they said it was fine. Went out this weekend and it was dying at idle, running rough, and would die when u tried to give it gas to get on plane. I would have to work it continuly until you put the level down and finally get it firing the next cylinder. My thought was that it felt like the engine wasnt getting gas. so i checked to see if there were any kinks in the fuel line. no to speak of. What do u guys think i should look at before shelling out the cash at another yamaha mechanic.

We have a fuel separater and checked to see if there was any water in the fuel. there was none. the gas was new, oil was filled, and the lowel unit oil was just changed.
I dont want someone else to look at it and not fix the problem.
any suggestions would help.

harris

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Wow...You must be the 20th person I have heard of that has personally had bad service at Pearland Marine. Those folks seem to really run a crazy shop over there.

My only dealings with them was a boat delivery (just the hull). They added $200 to the delivery cost that was not in the original deal, and took 3 months to order my spare tire for the trailer. Not sure how they are still operating.

·
11,766 Posts
Check the fuel bulb to see if it's getting sucked in and restricting fuel flow. Replace it if it is. Or there may be debris caught up in the check valve (bulb)restricting flow.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
My '04 115hp was doing the same thing and the repair shop changed out all four spark plugs and rebuilt the carbs. I just picked it up last Thursday and due to an upcoming wedding, I have not been able to take it out. I plan on trying it out Thursday so I'll let you know what it does.

Collin C.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, thanks guys, i had checked the bulb and it seemed fine. I hope one of the guys yall recommended will due. hope all goes well. and again I REALLY STRESS NOT TAKING YOUR BOAT TO PEARLAND MARINE. but if you want to fork over $$$ then it's
your expense.
HARRIS

·
fish control my brain
7,738 Posts
If your in that area...

Try Perkins Marine on HWY 6 near alvin.

Wayne will take care of you.......

·
Registered
770 Posts
You might try a whole new fuel assembly ( hose and bulb ) , cheap and could always use a spare . Good luck , GC.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Ethanol gas can break down deposits in the fuel lines and gum up yoru carbs. I'm still fighting this problem myself and cannot find a good mechanic near galveston to fix it. Anyway, I'd suggest running some carb cleaner through it and changing the plugs to see if that helps. If not, you might have to have a mechanic completely strip them down and clean.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Ron Hoover's guys on Nasa 1 have taken good care of me and my yamaha. They even got to it sooner than promised.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,943 Posts
Are you saying it's running bad after you got it back from them, or that it was running bad, you took it in, they can't find anything wrong, but you haven't put in the water since getting it back from them?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Get a small plastic gas tank, put a gallon or two of gas in it, hook it it the engine and add Seafoam to clean the carbs. It will smoke like crazy but will remove carbon and gunk from the carbs and motor. Do it out in the water and run the engine hard enough to get the stuff through the low and hgh speed jets. Idle will just clean the low speed jet.

TD

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
taildragger said:
Get a small plastic gas tank, put a gallon or two of gas in it, hook it it the engine and add Seafoam to clean the carbs. It will smoke like crazy but will remove carbon and gunk from the carbs and motor. Do it out in the water and run the engine hard enough to get the stuff through the low and hgh speed jets. Idle will just clean the low speed jet.

TD
Don't forget to add some oil for 2 stroke. Even if you have an injector, the seafoam is a very strong detergent. The tip about the high speed jet and running boat is good.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I dont know what HP you got but a friend had a about the same problem it was the fuel pump. It had a bunch of gunkyfunk in it, cleaned it out and ran great.Meeks couldnt find the problem it took a shade tree like me.Its worth a look

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have used Pearland Marine many times on my Merc. and rigging and they have always done a great job.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hope this helps. My Mercury was doing the same thing. My mechanic found that the inside of my fuel hose had been eaten up by the Ethanol gasoline, and plugged the fuel filter on the engine. Replaced fuel line, and hose. Back in business. I too had a water seperator. Problem was that the hose was ate up between the seperator and the engine. I was lucky that the filter on the engine caught it before it got to the carbs. It might be your problem as he said he had repaired the same symptoms 20 or so times this summer, and that was back in June. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts