2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a contact number for Payco other than their landline?

I rent a slinged slip there, F 12. My boat was not there for the storm. I have seen one NOAA picture of the marina and it appears that possibly one section of the marina, at the least the roof, may still be intact in the area of my slip.

I hoping they will rebuild.

Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
dont have a number but got my boat out of sling D-8 begfore the storm. not sure of the dock lettering but we were on the end right when you came in by boat, had to make a minor swerve around the bait camo and was lined up with our slip.

have been down to the iland three day this week helping a friend clean up and from what i can see form the highway it is pretty much gone! can see four or five slings still hanging on the first row in towards the inner harbor, the row on your left after passing my row, everything else looks totaled. there appears to be a boat upside down where my slp used to be.

would hope the rebuild but it will take a long time, had only been there since may but loved the convenience. is a great location but if they rebuild they will have to gut and drdge everything and start from scratch, was out a couple months ago on a low tide and the pilings werent in that great of shape below the water. was a great few months but will have to figure out something esle for next year. found a dry storage for the boat and will leave it there for the next few months at least, dont have any desire to risk the waters for a while, way too much unkniown right now to be aut there.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I'm guessing it will be redeveloped as an upscale marina or new high dollar residential.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
If Mr. Payne throws in the towel down there, he's gonna be missed. He was a great help to me back in the SCA days and always treated us well. He bent over backwards to help us scrap out boats involved with licenses and their retirements. I will never forget him telling me "y'all are doing this the hard way" and taking his big yellow track hoe and breaking those boats up for us.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope it does not go upscale and I hope Mr. Payne does not throw in the towel. I will miss the people and the place.

For me, it is the next best thing to living on the water.

Thanks Sampsonator. That's the number I have. It would not go through, I'm sure all of the phone lines are a mess.

I will wait until they let us "visitors" onto the island and try to catch up with them then.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hershel Payne is a dear friend and with the Yacht Service at GYB damaged and Payco wiped out and I do mean wiped out I don't expect him to rebuild either place. That is just my guess since I haven't seen him or Tommy. I have been by several times but he has not been there. His home got about 4' up on that hill. One of my boats I once owned for many years ended up on the freeway against the divider. Any one going on to the island will see the "BONNIESEAS" laying crushed. She was a 40' Pacemaker and was in B shed and probably crushed by the steel hull shrimp and snapper boats that were tied up along the west side.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have had my boats there for years myself. The current number I have is 409-744-7433.

While I havent stopped at the Marina, I have viewed it several times as I come and off the island. I doubt seriously if the phone is working! As for rebuilding, I believe they will rebuild Payco. As while they own some of the land, the water is on a long-term lease which I believe they have for another 50 years. It is really sad to see the place as it was truely a family operation with Hersel, Tommy and Debbie.

I hope that everyone assoicated with payco is safe and sound as many of the employees/chartacters at Payco were live aboards. I know Paul commonly rode the storms out up at the office and on Thursday the 11th, I spoke with all of them as I pulled my boat out. They seem confident that they could handle a 20 foot surge. Unfortunatley as you can see in the picture, it didnt make it.

Attachments

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Payco

From what I have been told, they will not rebuild! Gater

·
Registered
738 Posts
I stopped by Payco today and spoke with Tommy and the rest of the characters there. The status on the rebuild is about 50/50 at this point as I was told the insurance company wont even return their call nor that of their agents!

The place is pretty much wasted, but G dock and a dock are able to hold boats, the board dock are gone but the pilings are still there. B dock is wasted and C has about 4 usable slips as does F dock.

From what I was told, about 6 people rode the storm out there and unltimately ended up in the Tanner now known as the Anne which they tied off the crane and backhoe. I did get a chance to talk to paul too long but cant wait to hear his story. If anyone is going to stop by and think about it they need ice. I brought them 100 lbs today and some drinks but since they dont have any cover to speak of the ice isnt lasting long in the coolers.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
What about the bait camp and the house at Payco?

Just wondering if you all can give me any information about the house on the hill? It sounds like from Piledrivers' message that the Paynes don't have any cover...does that mean the house that they live in is destroyed too?
And from the aerial view, I can't tell if the bait camp building is still there. Does anyone know if it is still there?
I am one of Henry & Ruth Blume's grandchildren, the original builders of the property now known as Payco Marina. Henry used to call it Blume Yacht Basin or Pleasure Island before he leased it to Herschel. Please give Herschel our regards if anyone does catch up to him.
Thanks, Kathy

·
"FIRED UP" Contender
1,146 Posts
I used to work for ole' Herschel back when I was attending A&M - best boss I ever had - made me laugh everyday.. I've gone by and checked on them but I have only talked with Paul - he had some crazy stories about riding it out. I truely hope they rebuild as they are a good family. Glen who ran the bait camp is also a great guy and I hope he is able to bounce back..

BTW - Paul busted his *** pulling boats off the freeway (with care) after the strom - if your boat was one of them you really owe him a BIG thanks..

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a lot of pictures from payco if anyone needs them. My boat was a float but completely totaled! it was a disaster zone !!

·
Registered
738 Posts
For the record, the main house took water but is standing, Tommy's house had the bottom blown out but the top floor is ok.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I would appreciate getting pictures of Payco. I'll be happy to repay you for your trouble.
I am sure sorry to hear that so many of you have lost your boats and maybe your homes. We haven't heard from Herschel so we don't know whether he is planning on rebuilding Payco Marina or not. He sure has made a lot of friends over the years. I always enjoyed visiting with him when I went to Galveston...he is a character!
Let me know about the pictures, okay?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Payco Marina

I talked to Tommy a couple of days ago...He said that he was still trying to clean up...I grew up with the Paynes and have known them since 1965! I will try and find out more.

Robert

1 - 17 of 17 Posts