2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
the love of my life
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hairout: i go to some pawn shops from time to time to ever see if there are any deals on fishin gear-i never find any decent gear only junk-i finally spotted a nice abu 7000 and i thought-- way to go here may be a deal--i was ****** when i looked at the price for the reel and junky colapsable rod they wanted 125.00---shoud i offer them a price on just the reel cuz the rod is junk--if u think i should please tell me what i should offer--the reel looks new--i have only bought new rods and reels over the years i just did not know wht to offer--im guessin who ever pawned it-- got maybe 15 dollars for it--just give me some insight--thanks guys

·
Registered
786 Posts
95% of pawn shops will double what they have in it plus some when it is out on the shelf..most pawn shops will usually wheel and deal.i always ask what the bottom price out the door is and then start from there..they will usually give you an idea of how much they are willing to work on it..the longer its been out the more they will take off...you can usually count on 5 or 10$ off of their lowest out the door price tax included....money talks and i have gotten some insane deals in the past....curado on a cheap rod for $25.00 out the door....sometimes they dont know what they have...

Good luck and happy pawnshopping....

·
aka: KSims1868
3,792 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than half price of new at a pawn shop. That's the way I see it. You know dang-well they didn't give chit for it to whatever crack-head stole it, so why should you pay much more for it.

·
Iusedtofish
2,868 Posts
Not all pawnshops are bad.. I've been running them for 15yrs. as a rule of thumb we try to give 1/4-1/2 of retail and try to double our money if they dont pick it up. Like was posted above.. Most will wheel and deal. Remember it doesnt make them any money until it leaves the store.
Figure out what you are willing to pay for that reel and make them an offer.. If they wont budge, then you are in the wrong pawnshop.

·
Iusedtofish
2,868 Posts
BlueWaveCapt said:
I wouldn't pay more than half price of new at a pawn shop. That's the way I see it. You know dang-well they didn't give chit for it to whatever crack-head stole it, so why should you pay much more for it.
Not all of pawnshop customers are crack heads.. some of them have kids, that need medication, or clothes, or food.... as a national average 70% of all items pawned get redeemed........(That means that 70% of the crackheads pick up their stuff) Also, less than 1% of our pawns end up being stolen...(or reported as stolen)

·
the love of my life
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks brother i apeciate it i want a deal so from wht ur sayin i should offer 25.00 and no more than 50.00 out the door

Bret said:
Not all pawnshops are bad.. I've been running them for 15yrs. as a rule of thumb we try to give 1/4-1/2 of retail and try to double our money if they dont pick it up. Like was posted above.. Most will wheel and deal. Remember it doesnt make them any money until it leaves the store.
Figure out what you are willing to pay for that reel and make them an offer.. If they wont budge, then you are in the wrong pawnshop.

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,317 Posts
Wheel and deal. If you check in often you'll catch them when they're overstocked; I walked out with a 5'8" graphite Kunnan tuna stick for $15; all the price tag said was "ask at the counter about fishing rods". Got an old solid glass Sabre for $30 and didn't even try to bargain--that's a helluva deal.

One suggestion: don't just go to shops where they always have a lot of fishing gear. Hit the ones inland that have a little bit of mismatched stuff (like curados on spinning rods!); you'll sometimes strike silver in the middle of of the 33s.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I just went yesterday to my local pawn shop that i only have been to 2 times in a year, walked in saw two rod/reel combos amungst a bunch of them that i liked.

1 was a "new with warrinty" shamano somethin er-other and a shanano rod (bait caster)and the other was shamano surf rig rod & spinning reel (used) .
i liked what i saw, offered the guy half for both, nope cant do it, i said ok thanks and started to walk out.

the guys says ok i'll take a third off - done deal-- got home and googled the items .
on the bait caster i made 35 dollars and it has a full year warrinty and on the surf rig i made 25 - not a bad deal .
Oh and i only payed 50 for both so ya there some deals out there......

·
Registered
713 Posts
The key to trolling Pawn Shops is knowing when to walk away.
I shop them frequently and sometimes find a diamond in the rough.
Miles and Miles of junk but every once in a while you'll find a decent item.
NEVER pay the sticker price at a Pawn Shop.

1.)Look over the item thouroughly.
Once you buy it, it is yours AS IS. No returns.
2.)Decide on a final Out the Door price you'll pay.
Remember, most shops usually have invested less than half the dollars in the asking price of any item. They have a reel marked for $100, they've probably got $30-$40 in it max. Set your OTD price accordingly.
3.) Make an offer. Start low. Say OUT THE DOOR when you make your offer.
4.) Haggle a little if you want the item. Work toward your final price.
5.) If Pawn Guy says no deal, set the item down and walk away. No need to get angry. Just walk away. Go back in a couple of days and offer again if your really interested.

Some Pawn Shops are INSANE on asking prices for beat to Heck, chewed up tackle.
I have only seen a dealer swap a reel once.
Usually the rods are junk. Mashed/missing eyes, etc. Sometimes the blank is recoverable.

Hope this helps.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,792 Posts
I know and totally agree that there are some nice and legit Pawn Shops out there.

But "reported stolen" and actually being stolen are 2 very different things. I would venture a guess (and probably a conservative one) that about 35-40% of Pawn Shop Merchandise is likely stolen. That's not to say it was "reported stolen"...so it wouldn't factor into the statistic posted earlier.

I've used them before though when I was in a jam and needed some fast cash. I learned my lesson though and VOWED NEVER to get cash that way again. The interest rate is ridiculous on money borrowed from Pawn Shops. It should be illegal if you ask me.

·
the love of my life
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks brother

thanks moonpie--i was told over the phone they would not break the rod and reel combo but ill try again cuz maybe thy will want to at a later date

Moonpie said:
The key to trolling Pawn Shops is knowing when to walk away.
I shop them frequently and sometimes find a diamond in the rough.
Miles and Miles of junk but every once in a while you'll find a decent item.
NEVER pay the sticker price at a Pawn Shop.

1.)Look over the item thouroughly.
Once you buy it, it is yours AS IS. No returns.
2.)Decide on a final Out the Door price you'll pay.
Remember, most shops usually have invested less than half the dollars in the asking price of any item. They have a reel marked for $100, they've probably got $30-$40 in it max. Set your OTD price accordingly.
3.) Make an offer. Start low. Say OUT THE DOOR when you make your offer.
4.) Haggle a little if you want the item. Work toward your final price.
5.) If Pawn Guy says no deal, set the item down and walk away. No need to get angry. Just walk away. Go back in a couple of days and offer again if your really interested.

Some Pawn Shops are INSANE on asking prices for beat to Heck, chewed up tackle.
I have only seen a dealer swap a reel once.
Usually the rods are junk. Mashed/missing eyes, etc. Sometimes the blank is recoverable.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
They only give about 10 % of new cost to whomever they are dealing with at the most unless it's real jewelry or name brand musical instruments. None the less it's a great place to pick up DVD's,CD's,Rebuildable power tools,etc... Caveat Emptor!

·
fish control my brain
7,819 Posts
I know a number of shops that sell on EBAY...so remember... if you know what it fetches on ebay it will proably fetch it or a little more in the shop....

·
Registered
729 Posts
Muddskipper said:
I know a number of shops that sell on EBAY...so remember... if you know what it fetches on ebay it will proably fetch it or a little more in the shop....
Exactly I buy alot of stuff from one particular pawn shop new and used. Have bought lots of guns from them. They sell on ebay.

I've also bought mabye 10 reels from them, the last reel I got was a new curado paid I think 70 bucks for it. Lots of people wont buy from the because they assume its all stolen.

How many stolen items are on ebay???? But thats legit?

Theres some crooked shops but I think theres more good out there than bad.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have been prowling pawn shops for decades. You almost never find high end stuff, as the owners usually hunt and fish, and the good stuff never makes it to the shelf.

·
the love of my life
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes

i called um on the phone and asked if they would break the reel and rod combo cuz i was only interested in the reel cuz the rod was a piece of%^#@ the young man on the phone said probaly not so ill have to walk in and talk to the older guy and ask again if they willl break the set

speckle-catcher said:
did you even try making an offer?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.