2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched on the news where a fan is suing an NFL team because he feels that being touched during a patdown search is a violation of his rights. I personally dont mind if they check everyone going into a private place in which you purchase tickets for and agree buy purchasing these tickets to the rules enforced by the league/team. Of the the ACLU is all about this poor victims cause. I know some people will say those to give up thier freedoms for security deserve niether, but I dont think it is a "freedom" to be able to bring whatever you want into someones stadium. Just thought I would start this thread to get the 2cool .02

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That fan will be the first person to complain about the lack of security when some terrorist sets off a bomb at the stadium and one of his loved ones is killed!

·
Banned
663 Posts
I don't know - I personally don't think it is appropriate to have my wife and children patted down by law enforcement to go watch a freaking baseball or football game.

I thought that's what metal detectors were for. These pro-sporting stadiums bring enough money to buy the LATEST and GREATEST metal and bomb-detecting devices known to exist, and if you ask me...THAT is what should be installed in EVERY public stadium.

To physically have my personal body parts patted down in public along with my wife and daughter to watch a game seems ridiculous, and I'd probably demand a refund and go watch it at home. Like I said...they make enough money to provide non-invasive devices to detect the things they are patting me down for.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is a private event, they have every right to search you

If one doesn't want to be "patted down" they can stay away from the event. Most all events let you know beforehand that your person, as well as belongings, are subject to search.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
congrats on post 7000 bill, I for one dont have a problem with the pat down search. The ones I have had they just check around your waist and have you lifty our pants legs( if wearing long pants ), check bags. its no big deal really, we would all love it if there was less of a wait in line but all it takes is the one time something doesnt get checked and a thousand people get killed. There is a link to the cnn story on this on yahoo it reported that some terrorist related groups have gotten structural drawings on a few of the stadiums. Just something more to think about.

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
KSims1868 said:
I don't know - I personally don't think it is appropriate to have my wife and children patted down by law enforcement to go watch a freaking baseball or football game.

I thought that's what metal detectors were for. These pro-sporting stadiums bring enough money to buy the LATEST and GREATEST metal and bomb-detecting devices known to exist, and if you ask me...THAT is what should be installed in EVERY public stadium.

To physically have my personal body parts patted down in public along with my wife and daughter to watch a game seems ridiculous, and I'd probably demand a refund and go watch it at home. Like I said...they make enough money to provide non-invasive devices to detect the things they are patting me down for.
I understand where you are coming from, but it has been proven that even the best detection devices don't catch everything. There are explosives that have no metal required and they are sometimes very hard to detect. There are also other items that are very dangerous in the right hands that may only be detected using a physical pat down. That is just the way it is, and today the world is a dangerous place, and anywhere where there are a great number of people in a confined space such as a sports stadium is a sweet target for these nut jobs.

As far as women and children getting patted down, I understand your standpoint, but if it is done correctly it should be another woman doing their pat down. Plus if you look at the reports at least 50% of all suicide bomber are women and we are also see more and more children. It is because in our thinking women and children are non-combatants. This thinking has gotten a lot of good people killed over the years. Just go back as far as Vietnam and you will see where woman and children were used to attack our troops. True that was during a war, but today we are at war and you have to understand that there are people out there that want nothing more than to kill each and every one of us.

So if we what to be safe we need to understand that some measures are necessary to insure that safety. If you don't agree with requirements for entry into any place, or transportation you have the freedom not to enter or use the transportation. Freedom is not Free, it has always had a cost and only those willing to pay that cost insure that our kids and grandkids will also live in freedom.

Derek

·
Registered
674 Posts
Unfortunately, the "highly trained" security staffs that are patting you down at sporting events are more interested in finding the diet coke and ham sandwich in your wife's purse then they are with security. After they force you to pay $10 for parking and $120 for tickets, they are protecting their monopoly on $4.75 bottles of water and $7 hotdogs. Oh Oh, let's give Drayton McLane more of our hard earned money, put a product on the field that is an embarassment to the city, and make these young millionaires richer.....I guess that is an entirely different thread.......sorry.....

NOT!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
yeah i dont like the idea of being patted down. But I do like the idea that I really dont have to worry about getting my butt blow up during the 7in streatch. If you dont like it then dont go.im sure they will find someone else to buy the tickets you didnt want...

WBHB i feel you on that one.. I went to last weeks gave with clemens on the mound.. walked in with 100 dollar bill and left with 5 buxs left.. I did have some beers so it added up QUICK.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
WBHB said:
Unfortunately, the "highly trained" security staffs that are patting you down at sporting events are more interested in finding the diet coke and ham sandwich in your wife's purse then they are with security. After they force you to pay $10 for parking and $120 for tickets, they are protecting their monopoly on $4.75 bottles of water and $7 hotdogs. Oh Oh, let's give Drayton McLane more of our hard earned money, put a product on the field that is an embarassment to the city, and make these young millionaires richer.....I guess that is an entirely different thread.......sorry.....

NOT!
That's the only things we've ever been check for!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
bill said:
I the Cheerleaders were doing the pat downs? Just how long of a line would there be? And can we go back for seconds?
Excellent Thinking...LOL, Then the wifes and girlfriends would be sueing.....

Congrats on reaching 7000 posts....owe ya one Sir..

vBulletin Message
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
WBHB said:

NOT!
What!!?

I think the highly trained staff would rather find a gun than a sandwich; but they might as well grab any "contraband" they can since they are searching anyway.

No one FORCES you to pay $10 for parking OR $120 for tickets. You don't HAVE to buy a hot dog. If McLane gets the blame for losses, does he get credit for owning the National League Champions? Embarassment to the city?!?! C'mon...Houston has A LOT more embarassing aspects than the baseball team. Just like the hot dogs and the tickets, the "young millionaires" are worth whatever the market will bear.

·
TxDuSlayer
4,777 Posts
If your not doing anything wrong and not strapped with a pistol or bomb then you have nothing to worry about. Me personally I don't have a problem with being searched. But remember 9/11 changed our way of life for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
The first Texans game I went to I walked up to the shortest line. It was a woman and she said I had to get in the men's line. I said I would be hurt if she wouldn't search me and she said "sorry."

I would like to sue as I am very offended at having some hairy dude feeling me up.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The world is a different place to live in today. They need to check and I dont have a problem with that at all.
There are alot of people out there that do NOT like America and will do anything to change the way we live.

911 has changed the way things are done.

We will never be able to go back the good old day of trusting everyone and leaving the doors unlocked. The days of knowing everyone on the block and trusting them. For our kids to live as we did as kids.

Its sad but welcome to the new way we have to live in Americia.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I for one found myself a bit nervous at the first few large public events I went to after 9/11. Looking around while sitting in Relaint stadium I thought about how easy it would be for some wacko to harm a lot of people real fast.
I often get patted down in the airport as I buy a lot of tickets one way less than 24 hours before the flight. This automaticly puts you on the suspicous persons list.
When you travel in the third world you get seached a lot. Any big night club, several times at the airport, or as you enter a stadium for a soccer game. It is a way of life there. One thing about it they have the staff and the layout to do this quickly. Makes you feel a little safer that everyone is weapons free at an event.

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
fishnlab said:
What!!?

I think the highly trained staff would rather find a gun than a sandwich; but they might as well grab any "contraband" they can since they are searching anyway.

No one FORCES you to pay $10 for parking OR $120 for tickets. You don't HAVE to buy a hot dog. If McLane gets the blame for losses, does he get credit for owning the National League Champions? Embarassment to the city?!?! C'mon...Houston has A LOT more embarassing aspects than the baseball team. Just like the hot dogs and the tickets, the "young millionaires" are worth whatever the market will bear.
110% Correct!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts