2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread about how to help my parvo puppy out.

My puppy came home late last night. He spent three days in the doggy hospital under IV and doctor's care. We were able to catch it very early so he never got severe. I visited him everyday just to keep his spirits up. He started eating and drinking on his own yesterday. He also started moving around more and running yesterday. Vet thought he would be okay to send home. When they brought him out of the back of the vet's office and he saw my wife and me, he was the happiest puppy on earth. He is very, very skinny, and recovery will take some time, but he is going to be all right. He is still eating and drinking at home and his bowel movements have been pretty solid. No vomitting either. In fact, he vomitted only once during the whole ordeal. He is already running away with items that are off limits to him, socks, and such and such, so I know it won't be long before he is back to himself.

Thanks for all those that offered words of encouragement. Parvo is a deadly, destructive virus but it can be battled and won against. Yes it does take a little money, but in the end it is well worth it. Thanks everyone.

I will post pics of him later.

On another note: A german shepherd puppy who entered treatment at the hospital right after mine did also made it and got to go home the same day as mine. His initial prognosis was not good but he pulled through and looked very good upon leaving. I am convinced that this can be beat.

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Thats Great News.
It Can be beat if you dedicate ALOT of time to the animal..

Oxx..

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Thank you the update- after some of the losses we have had here lately, I for one am overjoyed with your great news! Please hug that puppy for me, pat yourself on the back for your dedication and $$ to save it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Lost a pup to this..he got sick,showed signs of illness while on a trip....before we could come home and get him to our vet,he was gone...I now keep the vaccines up to date on all our animals...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought I was doing everything right. My pup had been getting his shots by a vet on a schedule. I was trying to keep him sheltered from other puppies. I learned alot about parvo from this experience.

1.Even though your pup is getting vaccinated he is not immune from it until after he is fully vaccinated with booster at 4 months. Even then the puppy can still get it.

2. Be very careful at your vet's office, pet stores, dog parks. I think this is where my puppy got it from. I used to let him explore on the leash as I walked the stores or office. I thought this was safe. Wrong. He will be in his kennel away from the others until he is fully vaccinated. Do not let them pee or poop where the other dogs have eliminated. Petsmart is a great place but they do not pick up or treat the doo-doo or urine from the dogs in the potty areas outside and on occasion inside. One sniff by your dog in these areas is all it takes.

3. As soon as you sign any kind of sign get your dog to a vet. My dog went from 100 mph to 0 in about an hour. Vomitted once. That was all it took for me to know something was up. I did not suspect parvo because he had been getting his shots. Do not take it lightly if your pup gets sick at all.

4. Opt to keep your dog at the vet as the chances of survival are much higher. It is expensive. 750.00 for a three day stay, but it is well worth it especially if the puppy is already bonded to your family. It is not 100% that your pup will make it though. I wanted my pup to have every chance it could within my means.

5. Clean throughly with bleach. No chance of completely ridding your house of the virus but eliminate the major areas of infection, floors, kennels. If you have other dogs, the yard. If not let it takes its course as bleach will kill your grass. Luckily for me I didn't have to do this to my newly planted grass, but I know that I cannot have another unvaccinated dog or puppy in my backyard for a year or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts