2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Hoping to do the party boat thing with my son (9 yrs). Probably going out of Freeport, since I did a similar trip last fall and the action was pretty much non-stop. Just perfect for a boy his age.

I've got a bunch of newbie questions, based on my last trip and excessive surfing:

I gather that the large snapper are higher up in the water column, and that big baits are better, right?
Last fall, I bought a box of sardines, but they were too mushy to put on the hook by the time they thawed. I think perhaps I should've left 'em frozen? Are cigar minnows any tougher? Is there any way to 'cure' them?

I caught a blue runner and used pieces of it for bait. It seemed to stay on the hook really well. Would it make sense to try to catch some specifically for bait? How??

The boat tackle used 22 oz. weights. I'm pretty sure my boy is gonna get tired of cranking those up. I sure did. Is an 8 oz. weight more reasonable? I'll be sure to check with the dock on this, since I understand that the heavy weights must prevent a good number of tangles.

Moon phase - any thoughts? We've got some flexibility as to when we go.

Is it worth getting up extra early to wait in line for a stern spot?

He'd really like to catch a shark. What type of bait - large and bloody? How deep - bottom or somewhere else?

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

·
Banned
798 Posts
Get on the stern...use sow rigs (hook,2' leader of 80# , barrel swivel and a egg weight above the swivel..just enough to get down fast). Start fishing a few cranks off bottom and work your way up to the fish, there is no hard fact as far as where the bigger snapper are...but by using big baits I have found I catch bigger fish. As far as bait use cut bait or find a fish house that sells boston mackeral...they run about 8-10" long, run the hook and line all the way through the eyes and then pin the hook in the back about midway down. Also try drift lines with less or no weight off the stern and have pre-made wire leaders or the kings will shred your rig. And the best tip of all is watch other people and see what they may be using/doing , and be nice to your deckhand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"and be nice to your deckhand."

You betcha - both during and after the trip.

I'm always surprised when people aren't nice to those in the service industry. A PO'd deckhand, waitress, valet, skycap, etc,etc can really screw up your day. And let's not even talk about being rude to an RN in a hospital....

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you think the party boat was fun you should try to get on a private boat,its not that hard to get on one especially since most guys would love to take your son.

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,180 Posts
a sow rig, 1ft-2ft long egg weight depending on current, take several 6oz, and 8 oz, try to talk someone outta a live bait after they catch it if possible, ive always laid my baits on bottom, till the big gal runs with it!! my favorite bait is a bluefish or bluerunner head, or very big chunks of it, if you can catch piggies the day before and takem to the boat , tip the deckhands 10-20 bucks to get u a live well going, cigar fish r ok too, i use to fish g, partyboats as a regular, till i got disabled, several times i had a 4 fish limit of an 80 lb stringer, most i ever caught before limits was 16 sows 14 - 24 lbs, no brag jus fact, jimmy james said that!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts