2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
RAIDER POWER!!!
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing up in Central TX, we only kept the fillets off of a fish. Down here, I have heard of people keeping other parts of the fish like throats and sometimes cheeks of the fish.

Are these pieces of meat good as well or are people just trying to retain as much of the fish as possible?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with throats but it has to be a decent sized fish to bother IMHO. Cheeks I have seen kept when we caught halibut in alaska but they were pretty small. Cheeks are supposed to be the best pieces off the fish.

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
MsAddicted said:
Cheeks I have seen kept when we caught halibut in alaska but they were pretty small.
Lol .. i have see halibut cheeks for sale in our local fish market ... where they are know to the staff simply as .. 'but cheeks

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Throats on redfish, snapper etc. are good, the meat a little coarser, but the flavor is there, on big "yella cats" I cut the meat off the top of the head and under the throat, you be suprised how much meat you get off of a 40# cat.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Big grouper and snapper cheeks are fantastic. Whenever we cook a whole fish on the grill or the oven, the cheeks are the first things I go for. Most tender/juicy part of the fish. It has to be a "good size" fish to bother with it. If you get a really big fish, You can just carve them out and they can be palm size or bigger.

Don't forget the ribs too.

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
We used to carve out the cheeks on bigger walleyes--tasty little tidbits. My dad is a bear about not missing any meat off fish, but two hours into cleaning chicken dolphin awhile back my podna told me to quit messing around and cheat at the shoulders. My life has been better since!

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
I tend to get greedy on the bigger fish and get all that I can, smaller fish, I just fillet most of the time, and sometimes I will bake or grill a whole, smaller, fish to enjoy the whole thing. The only bad part on a fish, meat-wise, IMO is the red blood line...

·
Registered
193 Posts
My buddies and I had been keeping snapper throat for quite a many years. After fileting them we just took a pair of sheet metal snips and cut each side and pop that quail right out. Excellent for the grill with the skin on. We allways cooked them right away, they are more difficult to store and freeze than your uniform filet. My taste buds have always thought they were excellent. With the imposed limits, your days catch will go farther as well...

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
Rainy said:
There nothing I like better than a fresh flounder fried whole!

Rainy
skin on?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts