2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fished out of or know anything about the Panga Boats that Coastal Backwater Marine sales? I have fished out of Pangas in Mexico and Alaska and have always been impressed by them. I was just wondering how they hold up down here.

·
11,766 Posts
PM Arlon. He is running a panga around here and swears by it.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
The one i saw here looked better built than the ones in Mexico i have seen... they were probably much older hulls in Mexico though. They take them out in the Pacific.. I think they can handle the Gulf.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they can handle the Gulf of Alaska! I know they also handle the Pacific excellent. I was figuring they would be a great nearshore boat and bay boat.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,338 Posts
Haute Pursuit said:
The one i saw here looked better built than the ones in Mexico i have seen... they were probably much older hulls in Mexico though. They take them out in the Pacific.. I think they can handle the Gulf.
Actually, the Pacific and the Gulf are two distinct animals. Most of the time the Gulf is characterized by steep, choppy waves at close intervals. The Pacific is more swells at far apart intervals. Makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
When I looked at a couple models I thought they were too expensive. Maybe you will have better luck. I was also worried about dealer support. Not a popular model in the Galveston/Houston area.

Good luck.

-Mike.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
cabolew said:
Not a popular model in the Galveston/Houston area.

Good luck.

-Mike.
Man, it seems like everywhere I go I am seeing Pangas of one brand or another. I think they are gaining popularity very quickly.

·
Old Guys Rule (When we're up to it)
1,259 Posts
Salty Dog said:
On a lot of them the price looks attractive but it is for a totally bare hull or dang near bare. By the time you add the stuff you'd want they are not so cheap.

This is a pretty nice looking version, but not cheap...

http://www.androsboats.com/
I agree. They seem to be so proud of their cheaper price theory that they have priced themselves out of my market.
They trying to compare their cheap prices to really end boats.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a 22' Marquesas from them. It is an amazing boat. Since February, I've put 200 hours on the it. Many have been 20+ miles offshore, sometimes solo. I get 4-5 nmpg at 25-30 knots, depending on sea state and load. When you consider total cost of ownership, these boats cannot be beaten.

If you're serious about buying one, PM me and maybe we can set up a sea trial. I do not work for them, nor do I receive a referral commission. Would be happy to answer any questions though.

·
FishSick
231 Posts
Also check out http://www.panga.com/. I've been thinking about the 27' or 32' with twins. Does anyone know if these bigger pangas can handle 50 + miles offshore in the Gulf. I'm a little worried about the shallow deadrise at the transom.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Salty Dog said:
Man, it seems like everywhere I go I am seeing Pangas of one brand or another. I think they are gaining popularity very quickly.
Go ride in one and you will see why. Lot of negative comments available from those who suppose this or that but haven't set foot on one or even seen one in person. Seldom hear those comments from those that have ridden in one. Not all of them are the same. There are a lot of similarities but differences too. As soon as I get some free time again, I'll have another. Having owned one, doubt I'll ever own anything else in terms of a fishing boat.. Arlon

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have been out in hunters boat and it is one of the best all around boats I have ever been in. I used to have a 21 mako and the 22 panga w trim tabs rids just as good but gets about double the gas milage. It is great to be able to run a 125 mile round trip and burn 26 miles of gas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts