2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a can of spray paint will work. What are some other ways to do it?

Thanks

Drifter

·
Registered
704 Posts
Powder coating weights netcrafters has everything and youtube . I use heat gun and dip weight in powder and then dry in oven . Not really hard once set up correctly and fun to do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
painting weights

Powder coating weights netcrafters has everything and youtube . I use heat gun and dip weight in powder and then dry in oven . Not really hard once set up correctly and fun to do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with above. Very easy, cheap, durable. Jig heads, even spoons. Let your imagination go wild. Doesn't work out so well with Corkies though, unless you like them melted. oops.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you just have a dozen or 2 to do to me it's not worth the powder coating route. I bought a jar of acrylic art paint from Walmart for a buck to paint my kingfish rig weights and it works better than spray paint. Key is to clean the weights off first with alcohol.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Powder coating is easier than painting IMO. Heat them up, dip them and as soon as they cool enough to be handled they are done. The downside of powder coating is that the stuff I have used chips and then flakes off easily and paint seems to be more durable.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
Im not even sure it's worth to do at all.. I've never seen a difference in catch rate with color of the head. The weight of the head and other variables probably help the presentation and putting it in front of fish more than just the color. Grey seems to work fine for me. That said.. if coloring them helps your confidence then by all means color away. Confidence helps us present the bait better and be more ready when we get a strike.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Since when does anything in the lure business have to make sense or make a difference to catching fish?

Years ago I use to like to paint all my jigheads red thinking it kinda represented gills on a baitfish. A flash of red. Same idea as the guys who like red hooks. So I use to paint them red and then Colorite came out with their powder paints for leadheads and I started using that. They were clear and had glitter in them and they had about a hundred color combinations. That is where I started doing the powder coat deal. It's been years since I painted or powder coated a leadhead.

The OP didn't say what kind of weights he is painting. I just used the example of jigheads since that is what I have experience with.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back in the day tbey used to sell torpedo weights painted hot pink. We would use those under a popping cork with live shrimp. Have not seen those in years. I watched a youtube video. Ordered the supplies and will post some pics when done.

Thanks

Drifter

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Back in the day tbey used to sell torpedo weights painted hot pink. We would use those under a popping cork with live shrimp. Have not seen those in years. I watched a youtube video. Ordered the supplies and will post some pics when done.

Thanks

Drifter
One of the old salts I grew up fishing with uses orange ones and has for as long as I can remember. At one time he couldn't find them anymore and I painted a bunch of them up for him. He still uses them under regular unweighted popping corks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Im not even sure it's worth to do at all.. I've never seen a difference in catch rate with color of the head. The weight of the head and other variables probably help the presentation and putting it in front of fish more than just the color. Grey seems to work fine for me. That said.. if coloring them helps your confidence then by all means color away. Confidence helps us present the bait better and be more ready when we get a strike.
I agree with ya on inshore stuff. I've never found any difference between a plain and pink jig head. I do think it can make a difference offshore. For kings and spanish it seems to give them something to aim for especially on a live or dead bait rig and prevents them from cutting the wire as often.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts

Thanks

Drifter
IF you want to get fancy with it, offshore jigs are sealed with a UV cure resin or two part epoxy.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to sbabby for 1st try!! What's best way to paint off eyelet on jig head???

Drifter

Attachments

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Just take another jighead and use the hook to poke the paint out of the eye.

I have not had good luck with those weights like that where the swivel is poured in the lead. I bought a bunch of them once to rig up popping corks and the swivels would eventually pull out of the lead costing you fish.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First time I have heard about swivels failing on the weights. I'm sure it happens. How do you like the powder coating???

Drifter

Just take another jighead and use the hook to poke the paint out of the eye.

I have not had good luck with those weights like that where the swivel is poured in the lead. I bought a bunch of them once to rig up popping corks and the swivels would eventually pull out of the lead costing you fish.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Looks very good.

Yeah, I rigged up about 4 doz corks with them and they will work ok for awhile and then one day one of the swivels pulls out. Almost every single one that didn't get broken off completely and/or otherwise lost had a swivel pull out. Not right away but after enough fish were caught I guess it just works it's way loose enough to pull out.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1/4 jig heads hot pink
1/16 chartreuse green

This was the main reason. Color coded jig heads. Also, its easy and fun.

Drifter

Attachments

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I'm with Tobin on jighead color; I do not believe it matters one iota. But like he said...if that's your thing then by all means have at it. Anything that increases confidence and focus never hurt anything.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Since when does anything in the lure business have to make sense or make a difference to catching fish?.
There are reason behind design. However , very few companies ever make an original design based on a concept for improving catch rates .. most companies , like say Patrick Sabile , simply troll Instagram and Facebook looking for the newest idea with the most likes and copy that idea ..with their own extra flair... then claim they designed something

So to answer your question .. yes one thing in the lure business was created to improve catch rates ..the hundreds of clones that copy and slightly tweak that design have nothing to do with catching fish .. they left that hard work to the original designer who they stole from

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive been making my own jig heads for years. For one after the start up its so much cheaper "with a higher end hooks as well" and I have fun doing it. To paint them get powered paint and build what is call a fluid bed out of pvc. I will short cut your learning curve and use a brown paper bag as your filter in it. You just use a heat gun to heat the jig up until it looks shiny or it will melt right off the hook and quickly dip it in the paint then bake them in a toaster oven.

power paint.
https://barlowstackle.com/Epoxy-Powder-Paint-Regular-Colors-2oz-Bottles--P950/

how to make a fluid bed.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Marshall Deal and Windy Marshall started the coloring weight craze back before most of you were born. Windy still makes then to this day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts