2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...
New to the rod building and I'm getting the basics down pretty quickly; but, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some direction on how to paint the blank. I'm sure some of the veterans have done it and I know you can't just use any type of paint (due to weight and possible flaking). Any input is greatly appreciated.

-WoG

·
Rapper
400 Posts
I don't them paint them personally but my buddy that does uses high quality custom car paints. He preps the blank then applies an undercoat. Color next and several automotive coats of clear (usually with pearl). The finish is not build up at all since he uses very thin coats and they look great. Randy.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The automotive process Randy speaks of is far & away the best results I've seen.
That said, Krylon for plastics and Krylon clear coat will do an OK job if all your doing is sprucing up an old rod or not doing a really high-end type build. Be careful mixing & matching different paint & clear coat products as they are not all compatable and eggshelling, blistering, ect is the result if they are not. Test first and be sure to let the product dry completely!

BTW, when blanks are painted at the factory they are dipped not sprayed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thank you both, now I at least have a place to start. I'll post pics once I'm done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts