2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I feel like a dummy posting this, but I saw a cheesy commercial for some blue painter's tape (3M I think) and in one quick scene, this woman is taping the top of a door jam with this little dispenser thing. It was blue, just like the tape, so I suspect it is made for that type of tape.

I hate taping rooms before I paint, and this looked very easy. Anyone know where to find one and how much?

I have a regular packing tape dispense, but this thing almost looked like a measuring tape. It would make future home improvement projects much easier.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If it's the tape that I've seen it can be found at any of the big box home stores, as well as the local mom & pop hardware stores in the paint section. It's pretty good tape. Just make sure it's pressed down well. I've had it bleed under on an edge that wasn't pressed down well. My fault.

I believe that the dispenser comes with the tape similar to scotch tape.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the tape and have always used it freehand, but this looked like it would make things go quicker. I'm not looking for the tape, just info on the dispenser. Realistically if it is any more than $10, it's not worth it.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
fish'nchipper said:
I have the tape and have always used it freehand, but this looked like it would make things go quicker. I'm not looking for the tape, just info on the dispenser. Realistically if it is any more than $10, it's not worth it.
You could spend more time than you want trying to learn how to make the thing work as well as your freehand technique. Then you'll get disgusted. Then you'll throw it aside.

At least that has been our experience with these gizmos.

What we have found is that if you buy really high quality brushes like "Purdies" and learn how to use them, you won't have to do much masking, if any at all. That is unless you are using sprayers to apply the paint.

Professional painters do have a masking tape applicators that they use but its not for the blue stuff (which is wonderful). The masking tape they use also has a 1' strip of butcher paper that rolls out with the masking tape.

I've seen their work, and it is no match for a careful hand with a good Purdie in it.

·
Kayak Fisher
7,565 Posts
Super Dave said:
Is this it?

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/4551776[/QUOTE]
Super duper, Dave!

The problem I always have with masking tape is that I "lose" the starting point. I'll be digging into the roll all the way around trying to find the end. When I do find it, and I begin to tear, it'll divide itself up and I don't get the whole width of the tape.

This dispenser looks like it could stop a whole lot of fuming and fussing by keeping the beginning of the tape ready to grab. Good deal. Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super Dave said:
Yes it certainly is. Painting tape applicator, not dispenser. That was the word I was looking for, and this is exactly what was in the commercial. Not sure if it works well, but for $9, it is worth a try. Greenie for you. Never given those, but I think they are for when you post something good or find something for idiots like me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mrs Backlasher said:
The problem I always have with masking tape is that I "lose" the starting point. I'll be digging into the roll all the way around trying to find the end. When I do find it, and I begin to tear, it'll divide itself up and I don't get the whole width of the tape.
One trick on tape like masking tape or even duct tape...
If you'll fold over the end and let it stick to itself you'll always be able to find it. It's quick & easy. Once you get used to doing it, you'll wonder why you didn't do like that before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts