2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some may have heard of our feat, but in case you haven't here's the story. Fred and Ryan Schmid and their pops came into PV for a weekend of fishing from Florida and since I convinced them to come here instead of Cabo I hoped for some stellar results and some positive feedback for some anglers in South Florida.
Let's just say it didn't start out all that great as I think we went 0fer 5 on marlin on Saturday. Captain Manny wasn't answering his cell so I knew he likely was pretty po'd.
Sunday was a different story and poetic justice can be sweet. Different size tuna were seen both days and for whatever reason we had a kite bait out on the Avet 6/3 LX. Not our normal weaponry but then it's still a bit early in our big tuna season. The reel was loaded with the new Blackwater 60lb spectra and had a leader of 100lb Yozuri pink flouro and a 7/0 Hayabusa magnum circle. The rod was a Cape Fear TSU584050 and gawd knows that with the final result equal amounts of luck and skill for all involved played a heavy hand.
Anyhoos they get a good boil on the kite bait and hook up, thru the fight Ryan battled 100 degree heat, the shallow pinnacles around the rock, they got tangled with another line from another boat, they had to create a makeshift harness since the LX didn't have lugs, adjust the lever drag midfight, they almost got spooled a few times, they endured 3.5 hours of battle, the fish got tail wrapped, the fish died toward the end, and they ended up 6.5 miles from where they hooked up. They then motored back to the rock where they promptly hooked another cow that went 210lbs plus and luckily Fred made a quick kill with an Avet 30 Pro. All in a days work. The big fish taped at 79x59.5 which equates to about 349lbs. Since girth was measured on deck we'll call the beast a solid 320. Our scale is still in SD getting recertified so that's why the tape. Anyway congrats go to a skilled Captain Manny and an equally skilled angler in Travis to pull off what probably shouldn't have been done. And as far as Avet and Blackwater and Yozuri and Hayabusa are concerned, we're sold. Bottom line, it was a perfect storm and there was no such thing as being overmatched.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Mooooo

Still hard to belive after seeing it on Bloody Decks. Sweet. You have a top notch crew.

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
Absolutely AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting...Awesome!! That fish has crew experience written all over it!!!

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great catch. I used to commercially fish yellowfin - that that would be a $1500 fish in today's market if caught on heavier gear quicker and prepared properly as soon as it it was properly gaffed. The following guide is what a Japanize buyer taught us back in the earlky 1980s to do to our yellowfin tuna. We would sell a few of our fish back then to pay for the trip. Commercial license did not cost that much back then.

http://www.spc.int/coastfish/Fishing/Sashimi_E/Sashimi.pdf

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think we impressed ourselves :clover: but appreciate that everything lined up for us and had an excellent angler on board to complement Manny. Just a great day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts