2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
slap ya mama
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a recipe for "Oxtails with 40 weight Gravy". Had some yesterday but wasnt able to get the recipe?,,,,,talk about some good eating,,,

·
Jedi Knight and Friend to Captain Solo
17,027 Posts
Nope. But I bet 24Buds would. I don't know what makes me think that. :D

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
OH YES! sorry,don't have the recipe though.Get's mine from an old friend of the family..the place is called" This is It" soul food on West Gray Street.

RL

looking for a recipe for "Oxtails with 40 weight Gravy". Had some yesterday but wasnt able to get the recipe?,,,,,talk about some good eating,,,

·
"It's good to be...Me" ><)))'>
15,143 Posts
Good stuff...rice with the gravy and a side of fresh vegetables, and cornbread....mmmmm !

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,483 Posts
Nothin much better than oxtail stew witha cast iron skillet of cornbread to go along with it!

·
Will Rogers damned sure never met Obama
4,211 Posts
Have had cape buff tail several times in a stew---simply devine and great comfort food with some flat bread.....Divine

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Good stuff...rice with the gravy and a side of fresh vegetables, and cornbread....mmmmm !
Please post recipe for the ox tails & gravy......every time I've seen this at a buffet or a party, it looks like a bunch of bones & gravy.....where's the beef :question:

·
"It's good to be...Me" ><)))'>
15,143 Posts
Here's one I found online and it looks like a good one....

The following recipe is from Helen Coleman of Ms. Helen's Soul Food restaurant.

OXTAILS AND GRAVY
4 servings; approximate preparation time 15 minutes
3 pounds oxtails
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons butter or oil
1/4 cup flour
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1. Place the oxtails in a large pot and cover with lots of water. Bring to a boil, skim and add the onion, green pepper, celery, basil, pepper and garlic salt. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.
2. Remove 3 cups of the cooking broth. Strain and skim the fat from the top. In a large heavy skillet heat the butter or oil over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until browned. Stir in the broth and simmer a few minutes.
3. Remove the oxtails from the pan with a slotted spoon and put into the gravy. Simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
Had Ox Tail soup Thursday. First time for me. It was wonderful. An old friend of mine, wife made it. Don't have the recipe. (Don't tell my cardiologist.)

·
SPECKSICUTIONER
186 Posts
No recipe, but if you're ever in Singapore, there is a little soul food restaurant in the Changi Village. They have the BEST Oxtail ever. I make it a point to go there anytime I'm in Sing.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Nope. But I bet 24Buds would. I don't know what makes me think that. :D
Hmmm, how did you know?

Soul food is some good stuff! Turning somethin like tail into some good eats! I love it. I believe there is a place still open called Just Oxtails. Forgot the address but thats good eats. My friend took me there. Said not to go without him as I wouldn't fit in. Not sure what he was tryin to say.;)

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
Yep, Good Stuff !!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ate Ox-Tail for the first time in Pretoria, South Africa this summer. It was delicious. Haven't tried it here in the states. Of course, I ate alot of meat in Africa that I can't get here in the states.

·
For the Fish!!
4,046 Posts
I like to make soup with ox tail. I usually pressure cook it for a short time. It makes a wonderful stock. Made soup with some good looking beef shanks last week. Similar recipe. I'll look in my great grandmother's recipes and see if I can find aything.

·
Handsome, Humble, Contrite
526 Posts
While stationed in South Korea I had a soup that had ox tail in it and it was absolutely delicious!!! Lots of crushed red pepper, onions, carrots, potatoes... still find Korean restaurants here in the States that sells it and always make it a point to get some when it gets nice and cold outside!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts