2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a completely starved to nearly death Basset hound with us tonight. I don't think she will make it until tomorrow. I need help with what to give her. So far, it's been a warm bath and a little food, and all the water she can take in. The food is Mealtime, small bites. Let me know if there is anything else we can do for her. She's clean, in fresh bedding, and under her new blanket.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I hope she makes it Mont, I have a SUPER soft spot for Bassett Hounds due to Duddly, my first dog that was a BH. I wish I could help you big guy.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dave, say a prayer for her. I simply cannot express my outrage at why anyone would do this do a dog. Faith is giving her a 2nd bath, and trying to get rid of the fleas. Her ribs show through so bad, I don't know what to do. I have seen starved dogs before, but nothing like this.

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Left a message on Oxbow's cell phone, with your number.

Saying a prayer, and thanking the Lord that your kids rescued her.

Let us know how we can help. I know you have your hands full.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Good luck to you and the dog. I have seen some pretty skinny ones come back okay, but if you are in doubt there is usually an emergency vet clinic although you may not have one close to you.

I'm lucky that my vet is now open until midnight most nights and we have a good emergency clinic.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The chicken soup thing worked well, I thinned it out with half water and half soup. It got her bladder working again. If this dog sees daylight again, it will be a miracle.

meet Sadey

Attachments

G

·
Blue Water Ho said:
I hope she makes it Mont, I have a SUPER soft spot for Bassett Hounds due to Duddly, my first dog that was a BH. I wish I could help you big guy.
I have a weakness for those 'super-sized' hot-dogs as well! I never owned one, but Wilbur used to summer about 8 cottages south of us, and we were on his daily round. He would come to the back-door and 'woof'. When we came out he would sit up on his hind legs begging and then fall over. Who could resist that? He always got a treat! He was a summer fixture every day for 3 to 4 years!

It was a sad season when he came no more. Eventually the word was passed along his route that he had been killed by a skidding car during the previous winter. :(

May your new friend fare better!

:rybka:

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Pm comin your way monty..your cell is off??

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
I talk'd to BigDaddy..(Monty).. alls gonna be just fine..

Oxx..

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ox called me and it's carbs and sugar for the evening. She just got a little rice and honey along with a half of a teaspoon of molasses.

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
We have used pedialight (sp) for dehydrated dogs, I'm sure Ox has you on track however.

If you know who did this can I come help you deal with them?? :hairout:

FN

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Good deal, Mont. Hope she rebounds quickly. Keep us posted.

You and all your family have such big hearts. Hope your other critters understand your compassion.

Is she gonna sleep in Faith's room or Zac's??? LOL

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Faith got our big crate set up in the living room (that room is tiled), and will be spending the night on the couch with our newest dog. Ox gave us some good advice and the new hound is responding nicely. It's amazing what some good old country remedies will do for a dog.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oh Man,

I came home from work and the kids were headed for a night in Austin.I gave Zach the parent talk about having his little sister in the truck with him and kissed the two of them good-bye and told them to call me when they made it to Aunt Joans. Zach stops to fill up with fuel and the next thing I know is my phone is ringing.I hear Faith in the back ground crying and my heart sunk! Then Zach tells me Faith won't get back in the truck unless he rescues a Bassethound that is wandering the parking lot and he wants to know what to do. I yell to good-ole-dad (monty) and the next thing I know the kids are walking up with a dog that is in distress. All I know is that it's not sleeping in my room! Zach called the local police department(non-emergency #) and they told him animal control was not available and unless the dog was biting or acting mean they could not do anything. I had to laugh when he said he told the dispatcher "Well the dog won't make it till tomorrow and you don't have a little sister crying in your ear!", Any who the dog goes to the vet first thing tomorrow. By the way the picture doesn't come close to showing you what condition she is really in.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts