2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please finish this sentence... if I was going to go for an overnighter in October (aboard a boat big enough to accomodate) I would hit ______________ and fish for _______________. How about it guys? I am looking at a charter for 6 out of Galveston/Freeport. What should we chase that would allow everyone a chance at some good pulls?

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, from a tuna heads point of veiw, I would try for the spar rigs, Boomvang or Nancen. The blackfins are usually thick out there and you have a good shot at getting a few yellowfin. You can also stop at some rigs on the way and get some monster AJs and try for some grouper.

Mark

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think Paddler pretty much nailed the question. Hit Tequila or Sunrise for bait, bottom fishing, and AJ on the way out, then head to the spars for the good stuff. You could even hit Cervasa on the way back in, if Sunrise and Tequila don't have fish.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would second the question on how much do you want to spend and what type of comfort are you looking for.

If money isn't much of a concern - then without a doubt it is a no brainer.

Book an overnighter on the Akela. You would be hard pressed to find a faster, larger or more luxurious sportfisher on the Texas Coast (or anywhere on the Gulf for that matter). She's a 74' Custom Halter - built on what was a cigarette offshore racing hull. She has 5 staterooms to accomodate your crew in luxury each with their own head, 4 have full showers. She also has a full galley and a huge salon. Each stateroom as well as the salon has a TV with video access to the action in the cockpit.

There are 3 decks for your riding and viewing pleasure including the talletst tuna tower you are likely to see
For power - and I do mean POWER she has 2 Mann V-12 Marine diesel turbocharged monsters cranking out 1,100 HP each. When she gets on plane, she REALLY gets on plane!

I'd charter her for an overnite to the Boomvang, Nansen, and Hoover spars. She's quick enough to run between all 3 if need be.

She isn't cheap. We had a nice deal on a 4 day on her last year and I'd go for that price again in a heartbeat. I think though that it was a special rate due to the fact that they were tournament marlin fishing during the day and we were basically subsidizing it with our night time tuna fishing.

She's out of Freeport.

http://www.akela74sf.com/

Earl

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
If you could do less than 6

I would attempt to outbid the gallery at the upcoming SCA banquet for the Possession Limit trip.

Capt. John will flat wear you out on AJ's, snapper ,grouper, Tuna, and potentially a Billfish.

October is a great month. The weather is down right pleasant.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips so far guys. Can you give me an idea of what a charter like that goes for? In general? I am happy to call them and get a quote but I would like an idea before I call if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would completely agree. When is that banquet? I wouldn't mind going just to try for it but I imagine I can't outbid McGolfer :)

Capt. Stout doesn't charter so that is why I didn't reccommend him but that SCA bankquet thing if he has another trip offered is a great opportunity.

I like fishing his boat more than any other I have been on. Capt. Stout knows how to find fish (shoot, look at the 4 state records this past weekend) and Brad is an excellent hand/mate. The boat is the right size and very comfortable. Its a real nice stable ride. It might not have the cruising speed of the Akela, but it gets you there alot faster than say the Dolphin.

Besides, when you are splitting costs its good to be on a boat that has the fuel economy to run to Gunnison and cruise an entire day on 1/4 tank of gas. The same deal of just splitting costs on the Akela (if it was available and it isn't) could darn near break you! :) We had 2400 galons aboard - including 2 fuel cells on the GEM trip last year.

Any opportonity to fish on the Possession Limit with Capt. Stout and Brad P is an opportunity not to be missed.

I responded via PM on the prices we paid on the Akela trip and what I think Tex paid for a work group 24hr trip this past spring. I didn't post it publicly because I don't know if they are their regular prices. It will give you an idea though and specific quotes can be obtained from the Akela office. The Captain - Dennis Grey is an excellent one.

Earl

Bayduck said:
I would attempt to outbid the gallery at the upcoming SCA banquet for the Possession Limit trip.

Capt. John will flat wear you out on AJ's, snapper ,grouper, Tuna, and potentially a Billfish.

October is a great month. The weather is down right pleasant.

Good Luck.

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
The Banquet is October 16th

Myself, Bayduck and several others around here can help hook you up with some tickets if you like.

Yes Stout will probably be the feature trip of the night, he is one Awesome fisherman. Or so I have heard.. :eek:hwell:

FN

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Earl said:
I would second the question on how much do you want to spend and what type of comfort are you looking for.

If money isn't much of a concern - then without a doubt it is a no brainer.

Book an overnighter on the Akela. You would be hard pressed to find a faster, larger or more luxurious sportfisher on the Texas Coast (or anywhere on the Gulf for that matter). She's a 74' Custom Halter - built on what was a cigarette offshore racing hull. She has 5 staterooms to accomodate your crew in luxury each with their own head, 4 have full showers. She also has a full galley and a huge salon. Each stateroom as well as the salon has a TV with video access to the action in the cockpit.

There are 3 decks for your riding and viewing pleasure including the talletst tuna tower you are likely to see
For power - and I do mean POWER she has 2 Mann V-12 Marine diesel turbocharged monsters cranking out 1,100 HP each. When she gets on plane, she REALLY gets on plane!

I'd charter her for an overnite to the Boomvang, Nansen, and Hoover spars. She's quick enough to run between all 3 if need be.

She isn't cheap. We had a nice deal on a 4 day on her last year and I'd go for that price again in a heartbeat. I think though that it was a special rate due to the fact that they were tournament marlin fishing during the day and we were basically subsidizing it with our night time tuna fishing.

She's out of Freeport.

http://www.akela74sf.com/

Earl
"Ditto"! Been 3 times!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I don't know if luxury is all that important for an overnighter. I mean how much time do you really want to spend inside? Go with a boat that can get you there and back safely. The fish don't know the difference between a 74' Luxury and a 30' with a cot and a couple of bean bags. A 30' boat can get there and back on the fuel it takes a 74 fter to get out of the jetty. :)

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
6 guests, plus one captain, plus a mate or another captain if you want double limits = 8. Tough to be comfortable with 8 on an overnighter (assuming virtually everyone will want some sleep) unless its a real good sized boat. I would suggest 40 foot or so if you want comfort. Sure you can do it on a 30 foot boat, but four will likely be sleeping outside on bean bags/the deck. Even a short rain shower overnight can make that real tough on anyone other than the hard core.

Might well be easier to drive to Venice, stay over at the Cypress Cove, fish the Fall tuna bite for two days, and come home. If weather gets bad, hit New O.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I didnt catch the 6 guests...was thinking 4 on an overnighter for Tuna at the floaters. Would take a bigger boat if you all want a bed and shower etc., but I would be good on a bean bag....... bait in the water all night in Oct. Now if it rains...oh well! The cost for a smaller boat would be around 1,200-1,500? and I imagine a 74' would be at least $5,000. That's a lot of money for a bed. That would be an empty bed, right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts