2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I when out with a few good friends (Joe, Kenneth and Art) on an Art's sons 26' Glacier Bay who didn't get to go...sorry David.

Our plan was to troll a little around the Hill Tops and then run out to the floaters. Which we did, but no knock downs while trolling. So off to the floaters. In seas that were a little bumpier that expected (what’s new).

I pulled the boat around set up our first drift and Kenneth was already hooked up opn a Blackfin (these Blackfin were the largest I have ever caught around the floaters) before I even had the bat set for the drift......and so it went all the way till midnight. The only time we didn't have a bent was rod in the boat was when no one had a line in the water.

The Blackfin bite was wide open all night. They would eat anything from huge top waters to big live baits. I got tired of them smashing my top water lure....well may be not tired, but I would rather have Yellowfin blowing up on it.

Speaking of Yellowfin...the only better Yellowfin bite I have been in on was during my first Possession Limit trip. During this trip though the only thing that would have made the fishing better would have been fewer Blackfin. I know...I know never be made at there being too many of tuna!

What ever you put in the water would soon be ate by a Yellowfin if a Blackfin didn't get it first....did I mention there was a bunch of Blackfin there? LOL I have been field testing some lures from Megabite Fishing Lures and have yet to get one into a Yellowfins lip, those blasted Blackfin again! The top water bite on Yellowfin was odd....almost all of my blow-ups looked like small fish/Blackfin size blow-ups, but soon had line screaming from the reel. My Billy Stix spinning rig received quite a work out again.

Any way the box had plenty of fish in it by mid night so we decided to start for home after we ate few bites. We were on our way my 12:30am, but about 1:30am we blow the port motor! With 79 Nmiles to go we started the slow roll home. With 58 Nmiles left we get an engine light and warning horn on our remaining engine. We stop check everything.....all seems fine so we take off again. The motor has a slight miss that had me worried. The with 34 Nmiles left we run out of fuel on the starboard engine, so we swap fuel lines so we can draw off the port tank.....Back on the slow roll home! With less than a mile to go to the Matagorda jetties we get the low oil light/horn! We dumped all the extra oil we brought when first got out to the floaters so we limped in on what little we could drain from the bottom a the two jugs we had.

Sure glad we decided to start home at midnight. It was almost 2pm when we got the boat back on the trailer. Spooky part of the trip was having to run (well not really running at 8 knots), but the engine that went down was the engine that has all the electronics on it. So we had to shut down the radar and post someone of the front of the boat as a look-out.

Anyway here is Joe and me with a couple of our Yellowfin.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Capt C, was that you at the work boat 2 miles brom Boomvang? We were in the center console YF. If so, we wondered what happened to you. We just drifted after 2am, sleeping a little, then headed back at 7am. Fishing(tuna) was great.

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're the ones who pot licked us! LOL j/k

Yes we were in the Glaicer Bay. I seen a Yellowfin almost jump into the back of your boat around 11:15....that would have made a cool picture....it was almost eye ball high to the guy in the back of the boat.

We drift out a ways and ate, then headed for home.

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Great report Captn C. Sorry for the motor problems, sure can make for a nervous ride back. Those were some nice sized YF, what did they weigh?

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Great report! One Hairy trip!

Bigwater

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey

It looks like you guys nailed them!! Glad you made it in alright. We did pretty good on Saturday a little closer in.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
Capt C that was me on the stern ... Dang near scared the Heck out of me!!! he just came out of no where ...

John

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John,

I just happened to be looking at y'all when it exploded out of the water. I was laughing my beehind off because of the way you acted after it landed in the water.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How close did it jump from their boat? You guys have seen some interesting sites....tuna and mako's wanting to come in the boat and meat ya. I've never seen anything like that yet - just kamikaze flying fish.

I can't remember if it was this board or where that I saw the home video last year. Probably the only woman in the world that was ever saved by a boob implant. They were landing a billfish and it lunged at the boat and pierced it.

I told my wife, see they are life saving devices akin to PFDs - she didn't buy it.

:(

(sssshhhh don't show her this post if'n fishnchick don't delete it :) )

Earl

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looked like it landed about 10 to 15 feet behind the boat, but it looked like it was headed right at the center engine.

Art was running the boat before the engine took a dump and was hit in the chest by a flying fish. He said it felt like someone punched him. We didn't have any lights on at the helm so he didn't see it coming. We had one more land in the boat while we were fishing.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
We had several ( flying fish) land right smack dab in the middle of the boat!..

Talk about trouble But can you picture a Green Yellow Fin in the Boat with out a gaff,Hook or anything attached to it !!!

Look out ...

John

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
when we were out there on friday night there was a sportfisher that was catching flying fish by using a green light that they would set in the water. after a few minutes they would start netting flying fish. i hope to get some underwater lights on my boat as soon as my boat partner agrees to let me put some more holes in the hull. i want to be out there when one of the boats with the underwater lights is in the area so i can check it out. seems like a great way to attrack bait and fish. on friday we saw a few flying fish but none got close enough to net when we brought out the dip net.......rick

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ric, we had one of those green lights out on Saturday for 2-3 hours, I noticed no difference with or without it; therefore put it up. If there was a lot less activity, it might make a difference. I am also considering lights built in.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Jeff Gehran of Cha-ching charters sells them. Start a new thread and he should reply to you promptly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
9-18-04

Great trip guys,we were in the other sport fisher called the "Reel Cowboy" and yes it was a tuna frenzy ! Report to follow...
Trey C

1 - 20 of 20 Posts