we did not put out very many
        eyes, nor did the worms
        live inside us forever.
        We rode bikes or walked to
        a friend's home and knocked
        on the door, or rang the
        bell or just walked in and
        talked to them.
        Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
        Those who didn't had to
        learn to deal with disappointment.
        Some students weren't as
        smart as others, so they
        failed a grade and were
        held back to repeat the
        same grade.
        Horrors!
        Tests were not adjusted
        for any reason.
        Our actions were our own.
        Consequences were expected.
        The idea of a parent bailing
        us out if we broke a law
        was unheard of.
        They actually sided
        with the law.
        Imagine that!
        This generation has produced
        some of the best risk-takers
        and problem solvers and
        inventors, ever.
        The past 50 years have
        been an explosion of
        innovation and new
        ideas.
        We had freedom, failure,
        success and responsibility,
        and we learned how to deal
        with it all.
        And you're one of them!
        Congratulations!
        Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before Lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good !!!!!

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
An Olde But A Goodie!

Seen this before floating around, but it is all so very true! Born in 58

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DOB 3-25-71.....but if you do the fuzzy math, ciphering in, that I was raised out in the sticks, where my best friend was a daisy bb gun, for the first 12 years of my life.....then I'm over 35.......lol.......

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Born in "57"......Didn't lock the back door when away from the house (in case unexpected relatives came through). Walked to the park, swimming pool, and across to the other side of town to my best friends house.

Played football in the street using the electric poles for goals...all the while watching for cars headed our way and moving to the side before they got anywhere near us. Not to mention doing the same thing while playing baseball using the four corners for home, first, second, and third.

Banged up knees and elbows were ignored. We only got a parent if something was broken or couldn't stop the bleeding. (Thank God these two didn't happen).

Pat

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Yep, 5-18-55. Remember days when my mother would have to call my grandmother's house on weekend mornings to ask her if my bike was there and if I was out on the lake fishing, at 10 years old! Heck, it was only a couple of miles by bike in the dark.

We never locked the doors to the house or cars, either. I still don't a good bit of the time.

Gotta feel sorry for the kids these days. They don't know what it is they are missing.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL........wow, there are some old guys that post on this board.......thanks fellas......even if yer old, I guess it's better than the alternative.........jk!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Safari to an ole ditch

My sweetie had two of her grandkids over a couple of weekends ago and she was worried about them being bored at grandmas house. I think they were 5 and 9 yrs old. I told her "Dont worry, you have a "kid magnet" out the back gate--big ole flood control ditch. When the boys started getting bored, I took them out there and we saw the trutles, gars, bull frogs, showed them how to skip rocks on the water, saw an old garter snake, pulled out an old BB gun and gave first "real gun" lessons. I had to " herd them back to the barn" when it got too dark to see! Oh, yeah, when we went to the store, once we were back in the subdivision, I let them ride in the back of the truck--another first for them. Looked like two labs in the back with their nose pointed into the wind and looking at everything from a new angle (had to sit down all the way).

Now we had to plan a "mud cat" fishing trip for the next visit, I was grandmas' hero for showing the kids such a good time, and the ditch had turned into a "river in grandmas back yard"! They corrected me when I called it a ditch LOL! One set of parents were appalled that I had let her little angle pick up rocks in a dirty ole ditch, and the other politically correct parent kinda frowned at me for introducing her son to "weapons". Once I explained that they wore their seat belt to the store and back until we were on our street, they kinda thought the ride in back of truck was ok.

ummmm...I was born 7-1-44 and by the time I was 9-- I was leaving my grandmas house at dawn and roaming the pastures and rice fields with my own 22 or single shot 410. The field lark, sparrow, cotton tail, possum and armadillo, population suffered greatly! I totally expect Lord Garth and that other dude to harass me for "wanton slaughter", but all these were pests in the country! Armadillos and cottontails would ravage her garden at night, possums would be in the trash, and eat the perssimmons and plums, sparrows would nest in the eaves of her house and they carried mites. Poor ole field lark was just an innocent victum! LOL

Anyways, I was a hero and a villian for introducing the young lads to the virtues and hidden mysteries of an ole ditch!

Later
R3F

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Born 07/03/47. Played baseball at every opportunity, many broken windows in the neighborhood. How about climbing chain link fence and going "crawdad" fishing at the local drainage ditch. Pumping someone on the handle bars of your bike. "Rock Fights" anyone? Did a full tour in the scouts, cubs, boy scouts, explorers, went to church, and still found time to get in plenty of play time. Didn't need $150.00 "air jordans", a pair of "Chuck's" was just fine. Could fix my own flat tires on the bike. Never had TV until the middle 50's. Remember the Lone Ranger on the radio. ALWAYS watched friday night wrestling with Morris Frank from downtown Houston. Walked to school or rode the bike.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DannyMac said:
ALWAYS watched friday night wrestling with Morris Frank from downtown Houston.
My grandparents in Houston, were regulars at the Wrasslin' Matches.......good friends with Paul Bosch(sp?)

one of my childhood heroes.......Hacksaw Jim Dugan....and the Junkyard DAWG!

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
we still leave our doors unlocked and get hair cuts on the front porch....we eat what we shoot. aint nothin like a good bowl of squirrel dumplins. BOD 11-23-89.......JJ

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
BertS, remember WAHOO MCDANIEL, IRISH DANNY MCSHANE, FRITZ VON ERIC, and BULL CURRY, Oh and MIL MACARAS. There might be a few more but I can't remember them. Really thought Paul Bosch looked cool when he did the earring commericial. Man that was a long time ago!!!!

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DannyMac said:
BertS, remember WAHOO MCDANIEL, IRISH DANNY MCSHANE, FRITZ VON ERIC, and BULL CURRY, Oh and MIL MACARAS. There might be a few more but I can't remember them. Really thought Paul Bosch looked cool when he did the earring commericial. Man that was a long time ago!!!!
I remember Wahoo......and all the Von Erics........The Iron Sheik.......and the Russian dude.....can't remember his name......

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Well, even though I just BARELY qualify for this'n....

....I read it anyway. :slimer: Very, very good post, Bert! Dodgeball, now that takes me back a ways. I can't count the number of times I came home with the skin on my chest tender and cherry-red. See, I never did try to dodge the ball, I always tried to catch it. I could catch some fairly powerful throws but I paid a price for the effort.

I used to go from about the first of may untill school started and NEVER have a complete skin. I was ALWAYS skinned up, cut, bashed, abraded, punctured, lascerated, gashed and bruised all summer. By the time school would start every fall my feet were so tough, from going barefoot, that they were almost impossible to cut without power tools. My skin was the color of dark mahogony and my parents would not see me from the time I went to bed until dinner time the next day. Absolutely NO exagerating here. I would have spit on nintendo. If you had to stay in the house to do a thing, that thing was never done by me.

As for the wrestlers, lets not leave out Gorgeous George and Duke Kiamuka, and, probably the best know personality in pro wrestling, Paul Bosh.

DOB: 6/17/44

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Walkin' Jack said:
My skin was the color of dark mahogony and my parents would not see me from the time I went to bed until dinner time the next day. Absolutely NO exagerating here.
I know what you mean......a little.....lol.....although I haven't traveled as many miles as alot of the posters to this thread.......many times, the only way may parents got me to come in from outside, was my dad whistling for me......it was amazing, no matter how far away, or how low the volume of the whistle......I never missed that.......lol......

Walkin' Jack said:
I used to go from about the first of may untill school started and NEVER have a complete skin. I was ALWAYS skinned up, cut, bashed, abraded, punctured, lascerated, gashed and bruised all summer.
did you ever worry about flesh eating bacteria, or killer amoeba's, neosporin for you ouchies?

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
The three whistle rule.

BertS said:
I know what you mean......a little.....lol.....although I haven't traveled as many miles as alot of the posters to this thread.......many times, the only way may parents got me to come in from outside, was my dad whistling for me......it was amazing, no matter how far away, or how low the volume of the whistle......I never missed that.......lol......

did you ever worry about flesh eating bacteria, or killer amoeba's, neosporin for you ouchies?
My dad would come out and whistle for me. He'd give me 10 minutes to get in the house and then he'd come outside and whistle again. He'd then wait 10 more minutes and then he'd come out and whistle one more time. He put it like this: "I don't want to come out and whistle for that third time. If I have to do that then you might think about going ahead and staying out all night 'cause you are NOT going to like what happens when you finally do come in! Never found out what would have happened on the third whistle, I knew better than to push it that far. As your original post in this thread stated, we were held responsible for our actions and decisions. No squirming out of it. But I don't remember ever coming in on the first whistle either. I knew how far I could push my luck and I tried not to overstep the boundries. ;)

Moma always slathered me up with Absorbine Jr, and Mercurichrome or merthylate (sp). every night before bed time. Putting a bandaid on me at that time of my life was mostly a waste of time and bandaids. They never would stay on for more than a couple of minute before what ever I was into had 'em scraped/rubbed/washed away, along with what ever scab had had the chance to form over-night.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
WalkinJack, my dad would do the same thing. Boy could he whistle loud. Dinner was served at 6:00pm on the dot. We all sat at the table, said a prayer, and chowed down. Dad would come out three times and whistle, if I didn't make it to the house before the third whistle, NO DINNER! too bad wait until breakfast!! If I was not in whistle range, I had better let them know where I was heading and if I wanted to eat, be in the door at 5:59pm. I stayed beat up all the time too, and I do remember dodge ball, best game ever.

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Good post. Oh yes the memories, those were great times. Leaving just after day break to go fishing, play some kind of yard ball (football, baseball basket ball or yes dodge ball)come in around 2:00 or 3:00 pm for a swim in the harbor, clean fish for the party boats around 5:00 go home eat dinner and then off to the fish or shrimp houses to weigh and pack the days catch from the commercials and then home around 10:00. All by foot or bike. My parents knew where to find me after 2 or 3, but before there was no telling. But they did know we all looked out for each other and we would be safe. Of course with the exception of all the minor cuts, scratches and abrasions. I do remember our version on football called bruises and broken legs. No penalties for clipping, holding, blocking in the back etc..etc.. You'd better be watching all directions!LOL!!! 5/4/58

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.