I would not use flour. Take some flour dust and sprinkle it over your bic lighter and see what happens. In bulk it will smother the fire but it is very flammable. The best thing to do is get a fire extinguiser rated A,B, or C classification for the electrical fires. Baking Soda is fine so long as the fire is a small one. I would plan for worst case scenario myself and get a real fire extinguisher. My wife tried to throw grease(on fire) in a frying pan out the back door once and burn't her arm really bad.....we had a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. She didn't think the fire was that bad until she tried to throw the pan away and the grease went everywhere. All she had to do was squirt it a few times with the extinguisher. The powder they leave behind is not that hard to clean up.
Clean any grease build-up from the stove, oven & exhaust fan regularly. Cooking grease & oil ignite easily & burn rapidly. Use a lid or bigger pan to smother a small pan fire. Do not use water or flour on a grease fire. It will make the fire bigger. Do not try to carry a burning pan outside or to the sink. You could accidentally spread the fire. Keep a lid, baking soda, or an ABC fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen.
Flour is ground wheat... a dry grass like seed. IT BURNS! NEVER use flour to extinguish a grease fire. It is best to keep an ABC fire extinguisher in or very near your kitchen.
If the fire is still small and contained to the frying pan, try using a lid to smother the flames. Baking soda will work, and if nothing else grab the box of salt to smother the flames. Flour will only cause it to flare up and spread rapidly becoming out of control.
I have an extinguisher but I guess one of the kids on the block messed with it and discharged it. It is in the garage and empty now. It was in the oven and it was my wife who was at home. I have had it happen plenty of times to me and just watch it as it burns out. I told her as long as it is not spreading to go ahead and close the door and watch it go out. It went out. Thanks for the input. She would have burned the house down if I had not used all the flour up before......I tell you what, insurance keeps me from heart attacks sometimes.
Flour work but it takes alot, not just a spenkle. You have to just dump it to cut off the oxygen to the fire. Other than that I just do what you do J watch it burn out and turn on the vent-a-hood......................................later,Dave
why do you think grain silo's blow up? my father was a bomb and mine supt @ the base back home. he went to a training class and the instructor sifted flour into a little fan and stuck a torch in front of it. dad said it looked like a fighter plane with the afterburner kicked in.
an extinguisher is the best thing. might wanna look into getting yours recharged....
while we're on the subject of burning things, has anyone seen wet/green hay set itself and the barn its in on fire?? i have a number of times.