2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for some outriggers for my 34 Phoenix, and I was originally thinking about 18' telescoping riggers from taco or similar because I want to be able to take them off and store and clean them easily. I had Rupp Tournament single spreaders on my last express boat and they worked fine for the fishing I do, but its a hassle wiping all that aluminum down. We usually pull 2 baits or lures off of each rigger, but not squid bars or other heavy tackle. I like the maintenence aspect of something simple, (maybe even 20' carbon fiber poles from lees? http://www.fortecarbon.com/mar_outriggers.html) but most all convertibles I see have the traditional spreader outriggers. Do the 15-18' telescoping outriggers on all these CC suck, or are they just as good as the single spreaders? It seems to me that on the CC/telescoping/carbon fiber riggers, you could run them 90 deg parallel to the boat, whereas the spreader (rupps, traditionals) go out at more of a 45 off the side of the boat, so theroretically, a shorter rigger might be ok if it is out 90 degrees...

Furthermore, I see two styles of mounting, one where the outrigger bottom mounts below the window (pic1) and one where it mounts up on the bridge above the window. I prefer the second option as it is above the grabrail and leaves the walkway to the bow as open as possible. Ideally, I thought about using the rupp radial side mounts with the lee carbon 20' riggers like in my illustration (last pic). This way there is not a lot of maintenence like with all the aluminum of a traditional aluminum spreader setup. What will be the real world differences? Anyone using the Lee's CF riggers?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
huh?

so,...... you're wanting to know if parts from a ford pinto will work on a cadillac?

imo you don't spend a bundle on a boat and tie it to the dock with a piece of 10¢ rope either........

it just don't make any sense to me :confused:

..... but good luck anyway

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cost of the Carbon Fiber riggers and rupp radial side mounts are the same as the single spreader setup in pic #1; the question is not really about price, but about any performance differences and ease of maintence.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I ran a 33' Phoenix rigged just like the first picture, double spreaders. In my experience, I don't like CF riggers. I also don't like bridge mounted riggers (had have that set up twice) They tend to put spider cracks in the fiberglass near around the mounting base..no matter what the installers tells you. I think you'll be much happier with Rupps mounted as in pic #1.

Tropicalsun

·
Registered
591 Posts
don't know the reason, but the CF set up is very common on West Coast. Last time in SD, a 61 Viking had just pulled outriggers and replaced with the cf setup. I started to check out the marina and it was a 50/50 split on std setup & the cf setup. Never did see the boat owner or captain to ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts