2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:question: I don't watch TV that much, and usually it is a DVD. I have a good sound system so that DVD's get brought to life. I am considering just putting up an outdoor antenna for the little TV I watch. Now that the major networks are broadcasting HD, does that mean the sound being broadcast is similar to Dolby 5.1? Is anyone using such a set up?

·
Still trying to figure it all out
10,506 Posts
Another good site:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

This is from cnet.com:

What about sound?
Much like the DTV picture, DTV sound is not subject to the interference and static common with analog TV broadcasts. It comes in crisp and clear along with the picture, as long as you have good signal strength (poor signal strength can result in dropouts). You may have also read that DTV offers surround sound, just like DVD movies, and that's often true. The catch is that you'll need a special type of connection, called a digital audio output, to send that surround sound to a surround-speaker system. Most DTV converter boxes lack such a connection, so they can't provide surround sound--just standard stereo or simulated surround like Dolby ProLogicII.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I installed one of the small round 'boat' type disk antennas several years ago and it's provided us with great reception. We pick up more stations after the digital conversion. The disk is about 18" diameter and 3" thick so it's easy to install.
Got ours at Radio Shack.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another good site:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

This is from cnet.com:

What about sound?
Much like the DTV picture, DTV sound is not subject to the interference and static common with analog TV broadcasts. It comes in crisp and clear along with the picture, as long as you have good signal strength (poor signal strength can result in dropouts). You may have also read that DTV offers surround sound, just like DVD movies, and that's often true. The catch is that you'll need a special type of connection, called a digital audio output, to send that surround sound to a surround-speaker system. Most DTV converter boxes lack such a connection, so they can't provide surround sound--just standard stereo or simulated surround like Dolby ProLogicII.
Well, the type box you recommended, and it is working fine. Free now on my TV is free, the picture quality is unchanged on my old set, but I get dolby digital sound through big speakers and sub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts