2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be doing a small outdoor kitchen and looking on line at built in grills: Holy Smokes!! They're pricey. I guess I could design the cabinet and counter around a rolling grill but that may look really goofy. LOL... Do you think you can buy your typical Weber, Charmglo, etc and not attach the legs or side features and just slide in the base cook top? I haven't really looked at my current grill to see if it's desgined to sit correctly without a base but so far on this one site $1600 is the cheapest built-in I've found. I may have the first outdoor kitchen with just a built in $50 Academy smoker. :biggrin:

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you figure it out, let me know - I'm going to do the same this year. I'm looking at putting one of these into a cabinet
http://www.outdoorcooking.com/catalog/item/1/15/0/SPG90B/217/Big+Gas+Grill+3.html

and perhaps a smoker on the end - I've not figured out the entire thing yet, but it'll include a fridge to keep drinks cold as well.
Will do Roger. I've completed the flagstone patio and the deck is next but i'm drawing out what I want to do on the outdoor kithcen. My patio is just the standard 10 x 10 and I'm going to build a right angle island. I'm going to rock the outside and my mother in law manages a strorage building and someone left a 5' piece of granite counter top. So that's sweet ! I want it to look somewhat fancy but man these grills are high. I found another site and there's a couple in the $850 and $950 range so it's getting better. Maybe the 'ole mom and dad can contribute to their grandchildren's health. "Mom..my kids have to eat and they really want this grill." :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
whats stopping you from riviting some mounting tabs to the grill you want to use and fabing up somthing to keep it in place?

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in the latest outdoor kitchen fads but have you considered building your island with your countertop & sinks then adding what amounts to an old fashion brick, rock or stone grill & smoker with a warmer on the smoke stack? Sounds as though rock is available and that sure saves on the cost of a project like this.

·
I TAKE LIFE ONE BEER AT A TIME
240 Posts
I have built a few use steel studs and tracks for the walls and type x sheetrock or Hardi board then stone the outside they look good with stone. im gonna have about 180 pieces of granite cut outs from the sinks and cook tops left over on the hotel im building **** 15"x18" and 16"x17" all the same color they work for cutting boards too. the edges wont be finished tho.....KB

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MMMMM....interesting ideas. I do like charcoal or mesquite grilling better when I have time. I could build basically a fire pit in the island with a steel trap door that opens in front (or back to hide it) and once the charcoal or wood burns down, scrape it out. That would look pretty sweet, especially encased in stone. MMMM.....you guys have jarred my thoughts.

:brew2:

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to throw a wrench in the latest outdoor kitchen fads but have you considered building your island with your countertop & sinks then adding what amounts to an old fashion brick, rock or stone grill & smoker with a warmer on the smoke stack? Sounds as though rock is available and that sure saves on the cost of a project like this.
I like that idea.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
I figure as long as your countertops are the same height as your portable grill and it fits in nicely, who cares?

·
All work n no play
2,384 Posts
I have seen a great one where the guy fitted a space out to accept the grill from Sams --the big one. Looked great and worked even better. Now when it goes bad, he throws it away and gets another one and slides it right back into the same hole.
I went the built -in route I don't think I would do it the same again.
PM me if you want ideas-- my outdoor kitchen is a little over the top, but I think its got some features you would like to incorporate if your interested.

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have seen a great one where the guy fitted a space out to accept the grill from Sams --the big one. Looked great and worked even better. Now when it goes bad, he throws it away and gets another one and slides it right back into the same hole.
I went the built -in route I don't think I would do it the same again.
PM me if you want ideas-- my outdoor kitchen is a little over the top, but I think its got some features you would like to incorporate if your interested.
All ideas are welcome. Shoot me some ideas. As mentioned I have access to extra granite, so I'll do the counter in that with a matching tumbled travertine tile backsplash and granite bar top encased in some typ of stone. the back I was going to just stucco to save on stone but my BIL had a good idea and we may do the back in deck boards and stain it the same as the deck so it flows when standing in the yard looking back at the house.

·
Limit-less
74 Posts
Outdoor kitchen +

My wife and I built this outdoor kitchen - took about 18 months - but wasn't in a hurry either. The kitchen part I built with galvanized studs, backer board, and flagstone. The grill is a 36" American Outdoor Grill (AOG) which is a lower cost version of Fire Magic. I've done brisket on it and it come out great - low heat for about 12 hours or so. I got the grill and all island accessories at Cunningham's Gas in The Woodlands...great folks there! I bought the refrigerator on-line as it was cheaper. I've got other pics of the kitchen if you think it would help you out. I also built in a 300,000 BTU natural gas crawfish boiler (far right side)...great for all those things you can't do on a grill like crawfish, lobster, turkey, etc.

Attachments

·
Banned
886 Posts
Found a work around.

Here is a pic almost complete project. I used a regular gas grill on wheels, and framed it into the counter. The bricks were leftovers from the builder when we bought the house.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts