2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am crazy but this is the way I see it. Hours..... I have a df 175 suzuki that I have owned a little over a year and just did my 400 hour service. (I fish alot) Thats the 4th oil change and the 2nd plug change. I don't consider that to be alot of hours. But the other day a guy asked me how many hours were on it and when I told him 400 he acted like the engine was over the hill. He was one of these guys who puts 50 hours a year on his boat. I grew up off road racing where rebuilding an engine is just part of it. But in the last 10 years even those engines were lasting a very long time, If you used them! Yes use them! It has been my experience on just about anything mechanical, that it is much better to be used frequently and maintained well than used infrequently and maintained well. Something about sitting still that does them in. These newer outboards, if they are used and maintained should go for thousands of hours. If they are run properly and not abused. They run in a clean environment, they are cooled by cool water and usually operate at a cool temperature. These are big plusses for longevity. Anyone else agree? Anybody else think I am crazy? Time will tell.

------Without a rebuild--------

How many hours do you have on your motor?

Whats the most you have ever heard about?

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
Man, how long are your typical runs one way? I'm an "average" boater in that I put a little over 50 hours per year on my motor, but my round trips are pretty short. If you're not a guide, then 400 hours a year is some pretty serious fishing! With that said yes, I've heard of motors (2 & 4 stroke) going thousands of hours. I think one of the best things you can do for an outboard is run it and run it often. My boat gets run pretty much every week and I expect the motor will last a long time, but I also keep in mind that it could blow up at anytime.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
400 hours

I am not trying to bash anyone who puts 50 hours a year on a boat. Sorry if I came off that way. My point is that these motors with proper care and maintenence along with frequent usage "should" last a very long time. I am meticulous and maintain the motor properly. It runs just as it did the day I bought it.

Stuart - I am fortunate and right now and live on the water with a boat slip so I fish almost daily. Thats how the motor got the hours, not guiding.

·
Registered
501 Posts
marcus r said:
350 hrs on a 01 200 merc ...not good
That said it all. lol Just kidding. I'm not bashing just having a little fun. If people didnt like different things there would only be one brand.

Collin

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
Man you guys that are putting 400 hours on a boat in a year are spending what $6-$7k in fuel? I'm going to tell your wives :D

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
He did say that he was running a Zuke. Those things are so fuel efficient that you have to stop periodically and drain fuel out just to keep them from overflowing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zuke efficiency

The Zuke does do pretty good on fuel. My bill is getting ready to get larger, im buying a little larger boat this week that has a 200 HO etec on it. Im hoping these things are as efficient as they claim to be.

·
Hoping to keep some spare change
1,410 Posts
To equate it to mileage in an automobile, my 2006 Silverado has over 2000 hours on it with 88,000 miles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I fish alot and I only put 100 hours on my motor last year. Course my philosophy is you can't catch fish with the big motor down but we don't have a big run to make down here on sabine. Of course the with a 200 vmax burning 14-17GPH I still had a fairly substantial fuel bill this year.

·
two of my favorites
1,243 Posts
too funny!!!

Floatin Doc said:
He did say that he was running a Zuke. Those things are so fuel efficient that you have to stop periodically and drain fuel out just to keep them from overflowing.
LMAO!!!

·
two of my favorites
1,243 Posts
Absolutely

rconover said:
Maybe I am crazy but this is the way I see it. Hours..... I have a df 175 suzuki that I have owned a little over a year and just did my 400 hour service. (I fish alot) Thats the 4th oil change and the 2nd plug change. I don't consider that to be alot of hours. But the other day a guy asked me how many hours were on it and when I told him 400 he acted like the engine was over the hill. He was one of these guys who puts 50 hours a year on his boat. I grew up off road racing where rebuilding an engine is just part of it. But in the last 10 years even those engines were lasting a very long time, If you used them! Yes use them! It has been my experience on just about anything mechanical, that it is much better to be used frequently and maintained well than used infrequently and maintained well. Something about sitting still that does them in. These newer outboards, if they are used and maintained should go for thousands of hours. If they are run properly and not abused. They run in a clean environment, they are cooled by cool water and usually operate at a cool temperature. These are big plusses for longevity. Anyone else agree? Anybody else think I am crazy? Time will tell.

------Without a rebuild--------

How many hours do you have on your motor?

Whats the most you have ever heard about?
I agree with your theory...but the details in your theory are critical to realizing the benefits!!! Not everyone is capable of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts