2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some guidance before I take the boat into the shop. Went out to test the boat for the first time since the hurricane. The boat was stored north so we figure it fared fine. Today I took it to Conroe and it started right up, but when I tried to throttle up to get on plane it would only go as high as 2,000 RPM and would struggle after that. As long as I was in a no wake mode or at 2,000 RPMs the motor sounds alright. It's when I try to power up past that that the outboard bounces between 1,000 and 2,000 RPMs and no more power. The motor never quit and when in Neutral, I could rev it up to 5,000 RPM. This is a Yamaha Outboard 150 on a Nautic Star 210 and worked fine last time out. I'm guessing it's something with the throttle when the prop is engaged, but am looking for feedback from anyone who might know about this or has had this issue.

I trust my mechanic, but like to have a good idea of what's going on. I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check your oil injection if not working or low motor will not run more than 2000 RPM. They are set up that way so not to damge any further. Its is probably some sensor.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sounds like a fuel supply problem, the is no load or real fuel draw not in gear, could be as simple as a bad fuel pump(s) What model??? Carb. Hpdi, 4 stoke, they all have different things that could cause it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have a full tank of oil, but will check the injection unit. The engine is an '04 two stroke Yamaha 150 V6 outboard.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
I had these EXACT symptoms 2 weeks ago. Gregr1971 took a look at everything and couldn't find anything wrong. We spun on a new water separator just in case, even though that one was not too old. Then he used compressed air and blew out the carbs. Probably some other magic too. Well, she runs fine now. Huge thanks to him for getting me back on the water and back on plane!

By the way, 1997 Merc 60 horse big foot.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
coachlaw said:
I had these EXACT symptoms 2 weeks ago. Gregr1971 took a look at everything and couldn't find anything wrong. We spun on a new water separator just in case, even though that one was not too old. Then he used compressed air and blew out the carbs. Probably some other magic too. Well, she runs fine now. Huge thanks to him for getting me back on the water and back on plane!

By the way, 1997 Merc 60 horse big foot.
yes he is a great man , and we need few more people like him… check for low battery. my engine will go to safety mode like yours If the engine is hot ,battery is low, oil is low

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Hmmmm Boashna may have hit on something here. I changed by battery out after that trip because my dad had given me a new one. That might have been the culprit! But you'd think if it was strong enough to start it, that wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
What engine do you have that goes into safe mode with a low battery?
BTW, i am not second guessing you, just curious.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
correction on Suzuki 140 4- stroke - low voltage only causes the alarm to go off ,however failed diagnostic (sensor not working ) will put it in safe mode. I would reset the throttle by pressing the center and releasing the cable (takes 1 sec) then moving it back to natural then spray anything that moves related to throttle (corrosion protection ) and use sea foam to clean the possible junk in fuel injection or carb and cross my finger . I am hoping it is a corrosion build up for lack of use and not a mechanical problem that is the main cause ,also look for warm water coming out of center of your hub from impeller. pee hole is not the best way since it can be clogged or restricted like mine

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Greg1971 is definitely the man to call for anything that has to do with the boat. He took care of some trailer welding issues earlier this year at a very reasonable price.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
I have the same year motor ( carb ) and did not have the same prob with accelleration. It seems like it would be the injector or fuel ..

While the boat was up north ( sorta safe ) i added some water to the bat, change the fuel filter and sprayed the bat / terminals..

Started it up before i went down to freeport.. no prob. get to launch,, problem.. rrr..rrrr no start. boosted it and it worked.

I think I had to much spray on the posts.. It did not have a problem after i let it run for a half hr..

·
21 Shallow Sport
406 Posts
coulb be electrical also. Had the same problem here and it ended up being a bad coil. I'd check your plugs, coils, and power pack if what you mentioned earlier doesn't fix it.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
Check Plugs and coils definately. especially behind the cover for your power pack.
May be a loose connection or cracked plug wire(s).

Cost me $300 to figure that out! :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your tips. It looks like I've got a few things to try out Friday when I get a chance to look at it. I have two batteries and thought I charged them enough, but will check them for corrosion, water and then work my way back. Does anyone know where I can get a breakdown of a Yamaha motor? I don't want to be guessing at sensors and lines and screw it up more.

Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts