2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, Steve and I went to league city last weekend and took the CHL course from Al Trug. We both aced the day with written test scores and on the range. Steve had a really tight group and I didn't do too badly either.

I used one of Als Rentals because I wanted to qualify with a semi-auto so that I would not be limited on what I could carry. I had already decided to trade the .44 in on a semi-automatic. I qualified with a Springfield Armory 9MM. I punched a hole in the middle of the sillouette about the size of a silver dollar.

I've always had more conficence with a revolver but this experience gave me the confidence to come on in to the high tech age.

After much comparison, reading, shopping, and snooping. I was between the Glock 30, (subcompact .45 10 rnd mag), Glock 36, (subcompact slim-line 6 rnd mag) and the Glock 23, (.40 10 rnd mag). I selected the 23. It is the best all around soultion to my need. Easily concealed, reasonable weight. 10 round capacity. I bought a couple of boxes of target ammo but for the real deal I got6 the 155 gr. jacketed hollow-point hydrashocks.

Carter Country in Pasadena gave me $250.00 on my old rig and had a good price with 12 mo. free financing for the Glock.

Headed out to the range just now to run a few through it. I wanna be sharp when the license arrives in about 6 weeks or so. BTW today is the last day for the sale at Carter's Country. It's on Shaver, just shouth of Garner Rd. Look for John Thomas. He took the time and patience to really help me make the best decision for me and he KNOWS his guns. He's a really good guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Glock

Jack,
I think you'll be very pleased with the Glock. I carried one on duty for three years and loved it. Lightweight and nearly indestructible.

Nice Pics........Q

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JUst in fgrom the range...I got me a sho' nuff sweetie!

I ran a few rounds through it at a bullseye target, just to the feel and try to tighten up my groupings a bit. I then put up this sillouette, this is the one you will qualify on if you ever take the CHL training. I ran it back to about 30', or as close to it as I could judge. This is my first time with my new honey and I'm satisfied. I know I can tighten up on this as I get more and more practice with it. I love the solid weight, well balanced and smooth recoil. Follow through is easy. Second-shot capability is very nice.

I chose thirty feet because it is a happy medium for me to start with. Any farther and I spread out too much. And if I'm any closer I don't feel challenged. Besides if the problem is thirty feet away, I'm runnin'! In the hand book they use the word "retreat" many times. And unless there is just no out, that's me...Mr. Retreat!

Qball, You are correct, I'm sure I made the right choice. After all my investigating while making my decision, I heard many comments just like yours. I appreciate your input.

Ooops! Gotta go clean my gun! :doowapsta

Attachments

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Hey Jack

Whats up with the gut shot! LOL You just bein hateful? LOL Good looking setup my friend.

Zac

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to think I was just bein' mean but actually and truthfully, It was the first round out of the second clip I fired at that range and I failed to control my breathing. I also did a sorry job of knowing when I was at the end of the trigger-pull. That is the one thing that I'm going to have to work the hardest on. That trigger travels a long way before it drops the pin. Smooth but requires a little getting used to.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Jack, I Think You Made A Good Purchase...

I'd like to have one some day. The question I have is with the smaller insert silhouette target at the top left corner of your target. It seems the shooter would get as high a score as hitting in the No. 5 area as he would if he hit the No. 3 area right square in the cajones. Could this be true? What did Al say? ROTFLMAO. :spineyes: CF?

·
Borders, language, culture
6,338 Posts
Welcome to the world of Gaston Glock. You done good, you done good. Have you carried it with one in the pipe? That is really hard to get used to with no safety other than the one on the trigger. I would use caution carrying it "hot" in any kind of soft holster, pouch etc.... I personally use a www.sidearmor.com iwb rig while carrying my Glock.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,338 Posts
Actually, I guess I'm getting ahead of the game! Being as you just took your class, you won't receive your CHL for a few weeks I guess.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Why ya go buy a plastic gun ????

Jack, when ya wanna go shoot, gimme a holler.....I'll let you play with a real gun.... Beretta... and it ain't plastic...LOL

Attachments

·
6,429 Posts
Posting a pic is easy, I'll show ya sometime....LOL

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well at least I know not to mess with her, shes got every gun you need. I feel sorry for anyone that tries to rob her. I wonder how it would feel to have that whole clip of that UZI opened up on ya!

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Miss Dixie......serious pucker factor on that pic girl!!! Love target shooting but still a sad thing that so many of us have to carry, just to feel secure. Hope no one on this board ever has to use them for anything but target. If I was a crook, knowing all the folks I know carrying......I'd have to think really hard about a career move. Peace.

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
wendi and jack, if you would, give me a shout before yall go, i need to get out there myself. my late husband was a gun collector, and he made sure i had plenty too. LOL i need to get out and run some rounds through them and decide what i want to keep for myself, and what i need to sell.

trudy

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
About Miss Dixie W2427 .....

"Miss Dixie has 2 boats, an Uzi, and is single? What's wrong with this picture."

She's VERY SELECTIVE and there's nothing wrong with that.

·
6,429 Posts
Uzi

brewjr said:
Well at least I know not to mess with her, shes got every gun you need. I feel sorry for anyone that tries to rob her. I wonder how it would feel to have that whole clip of that UZI opened up on ya!
I know how it feels to dump a whole clip into a 16oz Busch Lite can..... Was right out in front of the spillway in Trinity bay and Cuz says " hey look what I brought along" I said lemme see that Cuz, and about 3 seconds later we were outta bulletts...LOL

ONE MEAN MACHINE....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts