2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, Friday, 3 October, a friend and I went out of the Kemah launch, to fish the Seabrook and Kemah flats. First trip for me in over a month- and obviously my first since Ike.

Went with tops and soft plastics for an hour with nothing more than a couple bumps. Then went to Gulps! under popping corks. Started catching nothing but big slimers, one after another. Went back to soft plastics- and STILL caught the slimers- and nothing else.

Nice day; smooth waters until about noon. Floating debris is still a problem around the channel- but not not bad out in the bay. Went across the ship channel in Trinity, looking for birds, but came back because we didn't have enough time to really cruise and search.

I took some pix of the Kemah Boardwalk devastation- but I decided not to post them, because I think everyone has seen enough of that.

Sad situation out there. I hope a good fall fishing season will lift our spirits a bit.

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Yeah, we left out of there Thursday and were pretty amazed too. The damage down there was kinda hard to grasp. Thinking about all of that being under water was really hard to get a grip on. We did eventually find some birds though. Took about 1 1/2 hrs. of running to find them though. It was worth it eventually.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
Which launch did you use? I've been wanting to go back out and just run the boat really. Did you launch under the bridge and if so, which side?
Thanks,
Steve

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
I launched from the seabrook side last Thurs w/ no problem, other than most of the dock planks are gone, so it's a little tricky getting in and out of the boat.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seabrook side

I launched on the Seabrook side, directly under the bridge. The ramp is okay but the dock is busted up pretty badly. You have to be careful walking whatever planks are left.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I checked out the ramp under the kemah bridge on the south side and its looks do-able. One of the piers is somewhat intact and the waterway looked clear.

It was tough driving around seeing boats skattered everywhere.....

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Let's do it our selves

Hey guys.

We don't need to wait for the city or county to come fix the piers at the ramp under the Kemah Bridge. They have enough to worry about. We can do it out selves.

If several of us pitch in it shouldn't cost that much. I'm willing to bring my generator and I have all the tools necessary.

I can't pay for all the wood and hardware (nails) myself. So if any one wants to pitch in we can do this.

The ramp is usable but still dangerous and someone IS going to get hurt trying to tightrope walk out to their boat.

We are the ones that use the ramp so we ought to nut up and do it our selves.

If this works out we can move to another public ramp and fix it also.

I don't know the condition of all the ramps but I imagine these are some.

Sylvan Beach

Kemah Bridge

Clear Lake Park

Any others out there you know about. Coordinate an effort to get help and fix them.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
Come up with a day and everyone can post when and if they can come. I would be glad to join in on the fun since that is one of my ramps I use on a regular basis.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
123 Posts
Say when I have a generator and my framing nail gun. I can supply the nails. What about used lumber laying around?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Let;s do it

I can't do it this Saterday.
We are going to the A&M game.

Sunday I'll try to make it out there by 8:00.
What we need are 2X6 treated lumber. As much as you can find. I'm not sure what the laws are on scavaging lumber but there is a lot around.
We will also need galvenized nails at least 16 penny.

Start collecting what you can find or purchase. We can at least repair a portion
of the piers.

Like I said I'lll bring the generator and Skill Saw

That is the Hemah Bridge

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Cancel

Seabrook said they might close the ramp (that will really p!ss a lot of us off) and they can't grant permission to repair the ramp.
It belongs to the state.
I will do further investigation and let yall know.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
They best not close that ramp. That's my most frequently used boat launch. Please let us know something soon. How about the Kemah side? Will it be open still??
Thanks,
Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts