2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh oh, this doesnt sound good.

I am on my Dell which hasnt been on the internet since Thomas and I moved in together. Had to hook the ol' gal up since this morning Thomas' XPS decided it would lose all or a portion of the OS.....? Have no idea how. I was working on something, got up and left the computer for a while as we have done a 1000 times and when I came back I couldnt get it to come back up from powersave (it did this once before a day or two ago but got it working fine). I turned it off and back on and it said it cant load windows because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system

(called Dell and they were almost no help at all)

So, I got on my system (also XP) made an OS recovery disk and put it into Thomas system. It started to load up and then it said "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer"

So....what does that mean?
Is it as fried as it sounds?
Any solutions?

:confused: Thanks.

· Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks jaredbassett, appreciate the offer. got the disks from Dell and am doing a complete reinstall. Couldnt find any other way around it. Not going to lose anything major (that I can recall) except a few pictures. Most are copied on both computers.

PS did you know you have to return the disks to Dell??? Kinda cheap if you ask me. Sheesh.

· Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really, how much could it cost them to toss in the CDs when you buy the computer. Seems like they would have a more satisfied customer than the one that has to wait 4 days for the stuff to come in the mail (only to find out I have to send it back!) But then...this is the age of short attention spans. By the time I buy my next new computer, I will have forgotten all about being disgruntled :)

· Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I can see sending the hard drives back, that makes sense. I am going to try to burn copies of these discs now, not sure if it will let me. Got everything up and working in Thomas' computer...took forever to get all the drivers back and the internet working. Computers! We are so dependent on them now that they are a necessary evil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.