2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh oh, this doesnt sound good.

I am on my Dell which hasnt been on the internet since Thomas and I moved in together. Had to hook the ol' gal up since this morning Thomas' XPS decided it would lose all or a portion of the OS.....? Have no idea how. I was working on something, got up and left the computer for a while as we have done a 1000 times and when I came back I couldnt get it to come back up from powersave (it did this once before a day or two ago but got it working fine). I turned it off and back on and it said it cant load windows because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system

(called Dell and they were almost no help at all)

So, I got on my system (also XP) made an OS recovery disk and put it into Thomas system. It started to load up and then it said "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer"

So....what does that mean?
Is it as fried as it sounds?
Any solutions?

:confused: Thanks.

·
Premium Member
39,915 Posts
Check in your BIOS, make sure the hard drive is detected.
To check the BIOS, during boot, you will see hit F2 or F10 or Del..whatever it should say.

What might have happened, during a move, the cable comes loose on the inside. So, if the hard drive is not detected, (with power cord unplugged) open the case, find the hard drive and check both ends of the cable (push them in to secure).

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
This is msaddicted

We havent moved the computer in several months. It has just been sitting there doing its thing until today. The only thing I can think of is I downloaded a logo making program about 3 days ago. It has been acting a little odd for the last few weeks though.

Running symptom tree testing (I dont know really what I am doing, just running everything I can get access to). So far all the tests on "problems booting OS" passed. Running hard drive testing now.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
This is msaddicted again,

Thanks Bill. Yep thats the problem alright, exactly the problem. Of course that dude is talking over my head but I got the idea. I dont have manufacturer startup discs though which is what it asks me for if I get that far. Guess I am stuck waiting on Dell to deliver.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you don't have a backup, ERD, or ASR of the desktop, then more than likely you're going to run into some more problems with this. But if you at least have the operating system CD, I can walk you through fixing this. What operating system are you running?
This is caused because for some reason or another the O.S. can't find the system portion of the registry hive. It might have gotten too big, or your hard drive might have developed a bad sector that contained this data.
Worst case scenario would be your hard drive going out. That would actually cost you some money
If it is all software related, we can extract a new file from the CD, or use the repair option.
If you're using XP pro, I can get you a Dell CD.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks jaredbassett, appreciate the offer. got the disks from Dell and am doing a complete reinstall. Couldnt find any other way around it. Not going to lose anything major (that I can recall) except a few pictures. Most are copied on both computers.

PS did you know you have to return the disks to Dell??? Kinda cheap if you ask me. Sheesh.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've noticed they changed their policy on those. Now when you oder a new computer, by default they don't have the option selected to send you the CDs. You have to choose it. And most people won't realize they need it for later. They really are getting their extra 3 cents out of people.
I hope they didn't make you pay for shipping. I have seems like a thousand of those CDs. :)
Glad to hear you didn't have any important data on that computer. Repairing would have been time consuming, but worth it for the people who don't have backups of their files.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really, how much could it cost them to toss in the CDs when you buy the computer. Seems like they would have a more satisfied customer than the one that has to wait 4 days for the stuff to come in the mail (only to find out I have to send it back!) But then...this is the age of short attention spans. By the time I buy my next new computer, I will have forgotten all about being disgruntled :)

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
The harddrive went out on my laptop last month. Dell sent me all the disks I needed plus 4 four different harddrives. I had to send my old harddrive and the other 3 new ones back but not the disks.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I can see sending the hard drives back, that makes sense. I am going to try to burn copies of these discs now, not sure if it will let me. Got everything up and working in Thomas' computer...took forever to get all the drivers back and the internet working. Computers! We are so dependent on them now that they are a necessary evil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.