2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered how certain places offshore got their names? Why is it called the East Breaks, Colt 45 etc. Also how are the Spars named? Are they named after the designers or just random names? I figure there's atleast one good story involved with the naming of a spot for a boring rainy Wednesday!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Who is Nansen?
Fridtjof Nansen was a world-famous Norwegian explorer. He described his
arctic explorations in the 1880s and 1890s in the numerous books that he
wrote and often illustrated. He played a key role inthe separation of Sweden
and Norway in 1905, and served as Norway's first ambassador to the United
Kingdom. He later made major contributions to the foundation of the science​
of oceanography and worked extensively with prisoners of war following World​
War I. For his humanitarian efforts, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in​
1922.​
What is a boomvang?
A boomvang can be found on a boat with a sail. It pulls the horizontal pole
that supports the foot of a sail (boom) down and keeps it from lifting up.

·
Registered
858 Posts
structure names

Eric,
Sometimes it just comes down to having the POWER to name 'em...I've named quite a few structures; Sunrise Rig, 44 Magnum, 38 Special, Glock, Peacekeeper, 357 Magnum, Derringer, Dumps Humps, Jim's Peak, OHara's Rocks, Irene's Ridge, Ruth's Rock, Murphy's Hump, Gomer's Rocks, Widow's Peak, etc....

My buddy called me complaining that I was naming all these structures for friends and family, yet had not named anything for him or his family - I told him I had a great name for a spot that I intend to name after his wife; "Marlane's Hole".

That's part of the fun of creating charts is the ability to name structures.

All the best,
Tom Hilton

·
Registered
88 Posts
The deepwater structures(spars and tlps) are named after the oil or gas prospect which they are producing. The names for these are usually picked when the prospect is being evaluated by a geologist or geophysicist. Unless the name is goofy or politically incorrect(ex. Thunder Horse used to be known as Crazy Horse) they usually stick.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The 32`s were thought to be 32 miles (West 18 1/2). P.B.S. stands for party boat spot.
Who`s your Daddy happened on the spot in jest. Red Mountain was named for the mountain of fish and not the structure. Names vary from port to port and Tom and I as well as others use different names for what is sometimes the same structure. Rik

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
The 32's were called the 32's because they were 32 miles exactly from the old muchowich docks. 21s, 27s, etc. named for the water depth. Salvador? Don't know. Tony's rock, there was a capt. back in the 70's that could only find that rock, his name was Tony. Turtle hole.... I'll let Casey tell that one. The Titty rock is named for obvious reasons, just look at your depth finder.

Reactions: texasjellyfish

·
Registered
973 Posts
There have been a few out of Galveston that I always wondered how they got their names.

The Drowned Man or Drowning Man as it's sometimes referred to.

and

Heald Bank.

Also, who named Stetson Rock? The Flower Gardens? What about our old friend the Claypiles?

LJ93

·
Registered
615 Posts
Lumberjack93 said:
The Flower Gardens?
LJ93
Don't know where I read it, but.... Around the 1900's the sailor that would go over the area could see the corals from the surface,,,,, looked like a "Flower Garden"...Like I said, I read that somewhere.

Victor

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Lumberjack93 said:
Who is Nansen?

Fridtjof Nansen was a world-famous Norwegian explorer. He described his

arctic explorations in the 1880s and 1890s in the numerous books that he​

wrote and often illustrated.​

How opportune. I just began reading Nansens book "Farthest North" which was given to me by my daughter who lives in Oslo. Thanks for the info!​
I've been told Drowned man is named for a shrimper who was tangled in rigging and drowned there many years ago. But who knows.​

·
Registered
857 Posts
This is a great thread. A few weeks when we were looking at the charts and planning a trip to the Colt .45 area, we started to wonder who made up all these names. We figured it must be some gun nut, because everything in that area is named after some flavor of pistola! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ok lets dig up an old hot topic,

What about Apallo, where did that name come from?

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Apollo is the name of the ship sitting on the bottom.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I think (think being the key word) its a small freighter, sunk during a storm (maybe Alicia?).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts