2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Josh Finch
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a gift card I wanted to use on new reels sitting here. Cabella's finally listed the new Shimano Core, so I have 2 of them that will be here Tues. I'm using MG 50's now and have had all the chronarch's along the way, so I'll let you know how they compare soon!

·
TROUT CHASER
626 Posts
You will not be dissappointed it is very nice!!

fishnfool said:
I've had a gift card I wanted to use on new reels sitting here. Cabella's finally listed the new Shimano Core, so I have 2 of them that will be here Tues. I'm using MG 50's now and have had all the chronarch's along the way, so I'll let you know how they compare soon!

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I've got a question about the VBS? Why is this system considered better than a magnet system? Seems like a magnet would be more linear thus allowing better adjustment?

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
The magnetic control is always on throughout the entire cast. The spool only requires so much braking to control the cast.

The VBS system works with centrifugal force. You need the braking at the beginning of the cast to prevent overruns. The brakes back off about half way through the cast and provide improved casting distance. This is acheived because the spool and lure have matched speed and no braking is required until the lure hits the water. Does that make sense? I can see if we still have the graph that shows spool speed with magentic and VBS systems.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Let us know how they perform. Do you mostly wade or drift, or a little bit of both?
I'd like to here how it holds up through the various methods.

·
Josh Finch
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wade 95% of the time and drift a little. I'll definitely post my thoughts as soon as I get them. I've had a few PM's from people who have them already and all have said they are the best reel they ever used! I thought that about the MG 50 (and I'm one of the lucky ones who has never had an issue with that reel), so I hope these are even better!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
bantam, wouldn't the VBS being "better" kind of ruin the purpose of buying a calais dc? I know it's computer controlled, but still it's magnetic right? btw if you need someone to test out a calais DC I'd be more than happy ;) lol

thanks,
jake

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
The DC system is a different style of magnetic control. This is actually an electro magnet that can pulse on and off 1000 times per second. This is controlled by the microproccesser in the DC board. It uses an optical sensor to determine spool speed and will then select the braking curve depending on the posistion of the switch.

When I stated that the VBS is better than a magentic system I was refering to the standard magnetic braking system not the DC. The DC is in a class of its own :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I figured that's what you meant. I just can't justify spending 5 big ones on a reel unless it's pretty darn awesome. What's the casting distance of the DC's compared to the new core and the existing 50MG? Thanks in advance,

Jake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts