2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Parrothead
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have the chance of getting a really nice boat at a good price, but it has a Suzuki 225 2 stroke engine on it. I am not familiar with the units and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with these engines. It has a 3 year warrenty on the engine, which is a year longer than I have seen on any Yamahas.

Any help would be great,
John

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i had 99 200hp suzuki's and repowered last year to honda's. my my starboard motor was outstanding and my port motor(counter rotating) was a problem. with the 3 year warranty you will be covered. buy it and go fish. if you are in houston area there are only 2 places to get it serviced rinker marine out off of 45 near 1960 or finish line marine in hitchcock near galveston bay. if you don't have a dealer near you then pass on the rig if you hate hauling the boat around for service....rick

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
I have a Suzuki 115 2-stoke.

going on 4-5 years now and the motor has been outstanding. Other than a minor sensor problem within the first couple months, I have had no problems. However, I have noticed one caveat. The electronic monitoring and adjusting of timing, flow, etc. is great - but it requires a good strong battery. If my battery goes weak or is starting to fail - the engine runs like poop and I get all kinds of false warnings. Took me awhile to realize what was going on, but now if the motor performs anything less than PERFECT, I check my battery and that's the cause (this has only happened 2 or 3 times).

I bought mine from Mike Pfieffer in Seadrift - which was great, the shop was 2 blocks from my house. But now they're gone and I haven't found anywhere close to do regular service (like water pump, etc.). I haven't had the absolute need for service (still on same water pump), but when I need service, I'm going to have to tote it a long distance to get it serviced. That's my only real complaint.

·
Registered
22 Posts
John,

Coastal Marine in POC is the Suzuki dealer locally. I have had good luck with Chris Mapp, he owns Coastal. He is nearly always around the store somewhere. Stop by and visit with him.
-----------kyle

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a new Suzuki in '84 and drove it hard until 2000, had it on three boats and never had any problem except a blown fuse with it that was not my fault; fixed all problems myself, motor never went to the shop. That '84 Suzuki was running strong when I sold it. I bought a new 140 Suzuki with fuel-injection in 2000 and it has been perfect thus far. I make 100 mile round trips with it all the time. Can anyone say that for a Mercury or OMC? -Bert

·
Banned
723 Posts
GYB Lazer marine

Capt. Tim bradbeer has 1600 hours on his 200 Suzuki on a tran sport and only rountine maint. I just put twin df 250 suzukis on my 310 stamas tarpon and am very happy so far, was on the Yahama pron team for six years prior to the switch. Lazer marine at the GYB is a authorized service center. Calm Seas.........Capt Scott I hate to say it but if its from the people that brought you pearl harbour its good.......... Snaps 5-15 lbs and ling to 50 lbs, kingfish if you want em 55 N.M.,S.E.Of Galv today seas 2-4 feet

·
Registered
949 Posts
We have a 1995 225 Suzuki and it's been an outstanding motor. Only problem we've had has been the solonoid on the power tilt has gone out twice. Once on the one that lowers the motor and once on the one that raises it. The next boat will definitely have 4-stroke Suzuki's or diesels.

Get Wild

Eric

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Strong Suzuki's

Capt. Scott is on point with the Suzuki's. Knock on wood, my 1998 200 is still going strong and 1600 hrs is about right if not more. If and when it goes down, I am going with a Suzuki 4 stroke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts