2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little particulars about ranch I'm hunting. Trans-Pecos area. Over 9,000 acres. Little game management.

Opening weekend I saw two spikes with beams/spikes over 12" long. Deer looked to be young.

I think they should be in the freezer, but others don't think so.

What are your opinions?

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
if they are over yearlings , deff. shoot them

it was kind of a bad year forage wise in some ares , so take that into consideration, but if you have plenty of mature bucks, for sure shoot them.,

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,885 Posts
If they are "cow horned" spikes, longer than their ears... shoot 'em all!! If you can barely see the spikes and they are only and 1" or 2" long... let him walk...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
This thread is going to get really long...

Kill'm all! Long, short, crooked, strait, up, down, sideways, backwards, cow horn, buffalo horn or whatever it doesn't matter what the spike looks like. If the deer has no branched antlers get rid of him.

This is true for South Texas anyways. I don't know too much about managment techniques elsewhere.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I tell my hunters they can shoot any spike over one year old. Have not shot one yet.
That's odd. Nearly every spike I have seen has been 1.5 years old. On my ranch I don't shoot all spikes every year. I start out shooting the ones with spikes shorter than four inches. If I leave some it will be the ones with the longest spikes. They have shown a tendency to grow more horn so it only makes sense to let them go and shoot the shorter horned ones.

A recent ten year study says to shoot all spikes. The largest buck that was a spike scored 155.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I let the word out around the county that I would do a european mount for any spike 3 years or older. that was 15 years ago and I haven't had one brought to me once.
Al Brothers told me 20 years ago when TPWD came out with their "study" that if you shot every single spike on 2500 acres of high fenced property, it would take 50 years before you even begin to influence the quality of the bucks.
Studies have shown that the female carries 60% of the trait for horn growth.
In a dry year, up to 90% of the yearling bucks will be spikes, once again research studies.
Keep shooting them 1 1/2 year old spikes folks if it makes you feel like your managing your herd.
How's that for opening a can of worms????
Has anyone read the research Dr. Kroll is doing on spikes?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah, so spike threads are like caliber wars on other firearms forums.

Sorry about that...

We did see plenty of younger bucks with forked antlers, so I don't think the food or water is lacking any more than usual in the Chihuahuan Desert.

My "logic" being that while it may not improve the herd to remove one or both, it ain't going to hurt it either.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
They are walking on our place this year because of the xtreme drouth. God takes care of the body first and then the antlers.. Keep shootin spikes and some day you wont have any bucks. I have antlers from a deer that began as a spike and grew into 175 class deer. Now he was hi fenced and protein fed if that makes any difference.

Charlie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.