2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Team FishBonz
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking to take a trip to Jamaica and spend 4-5 days at an all-inclusive resort. Are there any opinions about which are the best. We are thinking a Sandals resort but don't know which yet. Is there good fishing there in October?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have stayed at both Sandals and Jamicia - Jamicia and preferred the later very rustic feel. Please be aware that when you leave whatever resort and go to the markets the locals are very aggressive in their sales approach. A prime example is getting off the airplane onto the tarmac and locals on the other side of the fence hawking plastic bags of green leafy shrubbery! But it is a beautiful country.

Cannot help you with the fishing I was there for a honeymoon & anniversary and was too scared to inquire about fishing (haha)

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
I just got back about 3 weeks ago, we stayed at the Royal Plantation which is a little more expensive but really nice. Make sure you get all inclusive if you go there, they have 2 plans and a bottle of water is $3.50/ beer $6.50 if you don't. We walked over to Sandals which was ok but had the younger, loud party crowd. We were in the Ocho Rios (or whatever they call it) part of the island. It is a 2 hr car ride down a s*&^^& road to get there.

Jamaica was ok but I'm not sure I would ever go back, once you get off the resort you get bugged for money and it is pretty poor and nasty

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
You couldn't give that place.

Jamaica is fine except for the Jamaicans. I never felt safe.

Good luck.

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
that right there about sums it up
You couldn't give that place.
Jamaica is fine except for the Jamaicans. I never felt safe.

·
Team FishBonz
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad I asked, I think I'll change my mind and go to Cuba...........not. Any other suggestions on Carribean vacations. Cancun is out, been there done that.

·
Aggie Mom
5,386 Posts
We stayed at Wyndam Rose Hall which was nice. But like stated above, go on a guided shopping trip into town and do NOT leave your group. Actually, the best shopping we did was right outside the fence of the hotel. It's a beautiful place tho.

Try Cayman Islands. That place is beautiful, natives are friendly, drinks are great! On Grand Cayman is a small town call HE11 where you can mail your postcards from, buy souvenirs, etc.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I got married in Jamaica @ Couples Resort in Ocho Rios it is nice really no need to leave the resort they will take you on different excursions. I didn't fish but they had a 38' bertram that came to the resort every morning to pic people up. going back next year for my 5 year. Its couples only so no kids or groups of extreme partiers. Just nice & relaxing

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
We spent our honeymoon over there 3 years ago and stayed at Sandals Montego Bay. It was the best trip we ever took. Didn't have the problems with locals or anyone for that matter. We were there a little over a week and did several day excursions off the resort and everything was awesome. The resort itself is great with some great resturants. I would highly recommend Sandals Montego Bay. I guess if I hadn't stayed at the Resort my opinion may be alittle different, but our experience in Jamaica was awesome. PM me with any questions/tips...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get ready for some "jerk" chicken. We went to the Riu in Negril 4 years ago. Since then we been to Playa, Ixtapa, ect. This by far has been the best as far as drinks, food. And fun. The beaches are great. Planning on going back next summer. We primarily stayed in the resort at night. No problem from the locals during the day. Peace Man.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I went to Hedonism II 14 years ago. I was lucky to get back alive for numerous reasons. It is a beautiful place and was a ton of fun, but I agree with the above.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I got married at the Sandals Resort in Jamaica. It was nice except for the local trash. With all the activities to do, we never just hung out on the beach and did nothing. If you go out at night, be prepared to be confronted with dope dealers everywhere. I had one guy get in my face, and the security had to break things up. We had a lot of fun, but I would not consider going back.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I stayed at an All-Inclusive not far from Ocho Rios and had a great time about 3 years ago. We left the resort 2 different times and didn't have any problems, and we did plenty of shopping. All-Inclusive is definately the way to go though. You really don't ever have to leave the resort and you eat and drink like kings. I can't remember the name of the resort for some reason but it was a 5 star and very nice.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We stayed at Sandals and only left the compound twice, once shopping and once to some bar that was suppose to have the best sunset on the planet, they were cliff jumping into a lagoon that was perrty neat!! NO problems!!

Everybody that I spoke with had the best Gonja on the Island

·
Team OMAB Prostaff
2,414 Posts
Went to Jamaica 2 years ago and got mugged in the flea market. Wife, son, MIL, FIL, were all together just down the road from Margarittaville in Montego Bay. It was about as fun a place as camping in the Astrodome during the Katrina evacuation.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Go to the Caymans instead, The locals have the best attitude. And it is safe and wholesome for the family, wild and crazy partying is not tolerated. They even turned away a gay cruise ship a couple of years ago.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
I hated Jamaica when I went. If you go, get a nice all-inclusive and stay on the resort property. I would highly recommend Antigua. Probably the best of the 15 or so places I've been in the Caribbean.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
ShadMan said:
I hated Jamaica when I went. If you go, get a nice all-inclusive and stay on the resort property. I would highly recommend Antigua. Probably the best of the 15 or so places I've been in the Caribbean.
i would second that.
turks and cacos i think is how your spell it.
we went to the GRAND LIDO NEGRIL for my sisters wedding. worst place i have ever been. got an ocien view room which the view happened to be at the nude beach,i know what you are thing "SCORE", well not quite, (no offence to people "getting on in years") the only nude people on that beach where pushing 60 and letting it all hang out. this was 3 yrs ago so i was 29 yrs old. i think i am permanently scared from this. like walking in on your parents when your 15 OUCH!!!!!!!!!!
besides t hat the food was bad and the drinks (all inclusive)where so small you worked the buzz off just trying to get to the bar to get another.

on top of this it cost $3500 for the couple and that is more then half of what i am spending to take 6 people to cabo san lucas for my wifes 30th birthday thsi aug.

·
Fisher of Men
3,703 Posts
TOM (HUBBY) says be careful. When he went it was very unsafe. ROBBERY likely. He got mobbed when he would leave the hotel. Some negatives occured on the beach also. Woman selling more than just hair braiding. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. We luv Belize, Caymans, Peurto Rico, St Thomas, Antigua.Bahamas too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts