2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Parrothead
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any here have any thoughts on a 21' Carolina Skiff? I have a chance to get one at a good price, but am not to familar with the brand. It has a Yam 90, which seems a little small, but the guy says it cruises at 30 mph and is good on gas. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
100 Posts
Which model are you looking at?

I had a 17' semi-V a few years back. The boat worked great in flat water, I used it to fish inshore around Port Aransas as well as the jetty when weather permitted. It was wet and rough in a chop.

I had trouble with the Yamaha 4-stroke on it, but the boat never had any issues. I did beat the rolled edge up a bit.

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
I've always felt that the Carolina Skiff was a spacy bay boat that was very fishable in the bay or at the jetties. As for bluewater applications, it only applies when the seas are 1 foot or less and then only inshore.

·
Registered
676 Posts
skiff

i recently sold my 16ft skiff. the boat is as solid as they get. now for the 90 horse on the 21ft. i think it'll be underpowered. mine had a 40hp yamaha. loved the motor. your going 5 more feet plus a wider beam. the dealer tried to sell me a 25hp motor, i wanted as close to max as i could get. the 40 hp still had alittle trouble loaded getting on plane. cant imagine what the poor sap with a 25hp has to deal with. love the boat, i want wanna them 28 foot skiffs, man they are huge. consider the motor bro. 90 might be to small. run the boat and see, i know thats a pain most of the time. i know several people who have bought boats with recommended engines only to say later that they are really upset with the boat. the motor makes the deal.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
I think that 90hp will be enough.

I fish off of a 24' DLX which has a 115hp Suzuki 4 stroke on it, and it has plenty of power. The max rating for the 21' (DLX) is 115hp, but 90 should be adequate.

Overall the best thing you can say about CS is that they are versital. They make a no frills boat that has a strong following. The bad thing is that they are not really great at anything. They run shallow, are rugged as hell and are well built, but they will beat the hell out of you in any kind of chop. The new DLX models are much drier than their predecesors though. You will love the gas mileage. The 24 has a ton of room. The 21' is plenty roomy as well. It is primarily a good inshore boat but with a ton of flotation and a fair amount of freeboard, I take it offshore as well.

I have talked to several guys who have not problems taking their skiffs 40miles offshore, but I am quite a bit more conservative than that. I never venture more than 25-30 miles offshore and only on the best of days. Like any bay boat, you really have to be careful and keep your eyes on the horizon. It is a flat boat, so it will pound you in the chop. I have taken it offshore in 2 foot seas with some 3' mixed in, and it was ok. Pounded a bit, was making about 10-12mph only. I had people sitting in front of the console and they were miserable, but I was ok behind the helm. The good part is that it is very stable on anchor. It will not roll too much like some deep v's will. There is a ton of deck space in the front of the boat as well and that comes in handy when tossing a green ling in the boat.

Overall, the C Skiff is a good boat. It is very handy.

The worst thing about the boat is slow speed handling. At slow speeds it handles like a washtub. This really comes in handy when you are trying to drive it onto a trailer in a cross-current or hard cross-wind.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts