2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Im not the only one who sat in a tree this weekend, did anyone have any luck? Sure looks like the fawn crop was outstanding. Every doe I saw (which was about 15) had a PAIR of healthy fawns with her. Saw a few nice bucks, but not worth shooting 1st weekend.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
We hunt on an a ranch that is part of the Managed Lands Deer Program, so, our deer season opened last Saturday. Here's a few pics from Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. The hunting is a bit slow this time of year because the deer have so much forage to eat and the weather is pretty warm. But we still had fun getting out.

Saturday afternoon we saw a total of 26 pigs and 9 bucks.

Big 8 point

My son and Unlucky Pig #1..:D

Heavy 9 pt Sunday morning.

Another Nice 9 point

The Heavy 9 point (back) and really nice young 10 point.

This a big management 8 point. I started to let my son shoot him but he boogied.

7 more pigs showed up Sunday morning.

Unlucky pig #2

Others in our group also killed a management deer with no brow tines and 2 other hogs.

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
Refugio

Pale, some of those bucks--the nine and management eight--look to have swollen necks. Is your place close enough to the coast where the deer rut real early in the season?

·
8,788 Posts
Sean Hoffmann said:
Pale, some of those bucks--the nine and management eight--look to have swollen necks. Is your place close enough to the coast where the deer rut real early in the season?
Yeah, the primary rut will be in full tilt in a couple of weeks.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
PR, looks like that boy of yours had some cleaning to do this weekend....great pics....those bucky's are looking fat and healthy....you need to try that Adobo sauce on those pigs....i'm gonna make some this week to feed us this weekend when we go to our place....

·
Registered
298 Posts
I shot a nine point this weekend. Mainframe 8 with 7 inch drop tine on him. Scored in low 140's. Not what we are looking for in our genetics so had to take him out of the mix. Was only buck with 7 does.

·
8,788 Posts
dbar6488 said:
I shot a nine point this weekend. Mainframe 8 with 7 inch drop tine on him. Scored in low 140's. Not what we are looking for in our genetics so had to take him out of the mix. Was only buck with 7 does.
Drop tines are not a desired trait in your genetics? I would think that is the most sought after antler trait, by most hunters.

Any pictures?

·
Registered
298 Posts
The drop is fine but the main frame 8 is not on a 3 yr old deer. If you look in TTH mag and see hoof and horns ranch you will see a deer named hondo. Neat looking deer with a huge drop tine but is only a mainframe 8 so his semen is about 1/4 what other deer are that really aren't as impressive. I have a feeling from the shape and bend of the droptine that it is a product of an injury to the antler there during velvet also

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I think someone got excited seeing a big ole' drop tine on a management buck and popped him, or twanged him, I guess. I know I would have done the same.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Selling deer semen and a mainframe 8ptr with a 7 inch drop is a cull???? What the H3!! has happened to deer hunting? Kill all them **** culls before they breed. I dunno Dbar....that'd would be a shooter on our ranch,(in a couple of years)

·
8,788 Posts
Bucksnort said:
Selling deer semen and a mainframe 8ptr with a 7 inch drop is a cull???? What the H3!! has happened to deer hunting? Kill all them **** culls before they breed. I dunno Dbar....that'd would be a shooter on our ranch,(in a couple of years)
A 140 class 8 point with a 7" drop!!!:eek: I hunt a pretty fair ranch. And, I've killed bigger deer. But, I suspect that would be a trophy on most ranches.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
150 is generally the cut off for "trophy" status on the ranches I have guided on. Depending on the ranch, even a 150 eight can be called a management buck.

·
8,788 Posts
James Howell said:
150 is generally the cut off for "trophy" status on the ranches I have guided on. Depending on the ranch, even a 150 eight can be called a management buck.
I know what you mean. There are some very intensly managed ranches out there. My point is, if I had the choice between a 150" buck and a 140 class buck with a 7" drop. For my money, I'm killing the drop. IMO...You have have a much better chance at killing a 150" deer at some future time, than you do at killing a 140 class buck with a 7" drop.

BTW....I also would much prefer to kill a 150 eight than a 150 ten.

·
15,098 Posts
It sounded like a good reason to shoot a (cull) and not get slapped around by the ranch owner. Unless is dbar is the ranch owner then it sounded like he convinced himself it was a cull and he was doing the right thing.
I hate to say it but Texas has messed deer hunting for many people all over the continet. I have hunted many places and were I used to hunt for free, (not Texas) I now have to pay ,and were I used to hunt for a fair price(not Texas) I now can't hardly afford anymore.
Darn near all the western states have millions of acres of land for the public to hunt but not Texas and its the biggest of all. And the big places that texas does have that are public (Big Bend Ranch) (450,000 Acres) you cant go on unles your a senator of course. They take 8 hunters for 5 days on that ranch a year. And thats how all our public hunting goes.
If you own land in Canada , its against the law to lease your land for hunting . You can either give permission or post no hunting,but no money is to change hands.
And when you tell them your from texas , they say they cant believe how much you pay to shoot a penned up whitetail, and what a hunt that must be.So then I have to explain to them about high fences and that I dont hunt in texas,thats why I'm here in canada....the money. $25,000 , 40,000 to shoot a deer . No wonder everybody is jumping on the whitetail wagon.
I have to stop,my blood pressure is rising.

R.R...............................................................................................

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
then again, redfishr, Canada doesn't have to cull, winter does it for 'em. This is a long, sordid argument, but here is my stance. Do I believe in "improving" deer herds by using genetics (imported deer, semen, etc), no, I don't. Do I believe in high fencing less than a thousand acres and grooming specific deer for ultra-high priced canned hunts. no I don't. I am not real fond of high fences, period, but large ranches with healthy deer herds under high fence, managed properly so the herd doesn't stress the habitat, and animals are taken by fair chase methods are pretty much where hunting in Texas has been headed for 30 years. Texas has always been a pay to hunt state for the most part. It is definitely the most expensive place to hunt whitetails. I have hunted everything from day leases to high end ranches, and let me tell you, a well managed high fence ranch is in a heck of a lot better shape than a place that allows day hunting, overgrazing by livestock and game, and a shoot-anything-that-walks mentality. The breaking up of large ranches has more to do with the state of high fencing in Texas than anything else. Large (20,000+) ranches have the ability to manage the whitetail herd without the need for high fences, but they are becoming more scarce every year. Management Coops set up through TPWD have greatly improved deer herds that are shared by several small landowners (LOTS of these in the hill country, east Texas) and may hopefully save deer hunting for the vast majority of people who deer hunt. I am kind of rambling here, but I guess the point is, a lot of folks are doing it the wrong way (pick up TTH and read how many high fenced ops under a thousand acres are selling "super" genetically improved deer hunts), but a lot of folks are trying to do it the right way through coops, improving the natural habitat, and balancing the deer herd. The days of stepping off the back porch with grandaddy's thirty-thirty and popping the first spike or four point you see are long gone in Texas.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts