2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wife to see the shark move titled Open Water. From the previews I expected much better. It was a disapointment in general. May recomendation is to stay home and watch the sports channel. my 2 cents

·
Third Coast
247 Posts
I second that recommendation. It was a spooky movie, but I was expecting much, much more. They basically showed a few fins and that's it.
Tuna

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well thanks for saving me......um........lets see...(thinking $7 x's 2 for tix, $6 for food and drinks and $20 for a sitter).....40 bux, it sure does look good on the t.v tho.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's a bit of a stretch to claim it is based on a true story when neither of the two "missing" divers survived to tell the story ! They just as well may be living in Costa Rica enjoying the insurance money.

This is just another case of over advertised sensationalism for a low budget, poorly conceived movie idea.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
I haven't seen alot info about the movie, but if it's based on the dissappearance of the couple off Australia (Tom & EileeN Longerans IIRC), the whole scenario of their disappearance caused quite a stir in the diving community when it happened.

No proof of what happened one way or another, was it insurance fraud?...etc. Sparked some very interesting topics on a diving board I post on.

·
Registered
12,274 Posts
I found the movie at the local library. Seems a little "fishy" to me as I think I would have remember at least the girl not being on the boat.

·
Sum Beach
811 Posts
I watched the movie and didn't realize I was watching this movie until I saw the title afterward...My bad. Did not scare me either. I was more frustrated by the blowhard that forgot his dive gear and didn't need a buddy to dive with (or something like that). Anyway, the dive master should find another profession for getting the count wrong, especially the girl as fishingcacher said. I certainly would not pay more than .02c to see it. My .02c. I noticed the guy never ever panicked but when the girl knew they were both in trouble, she played the blame game on him for booking the dive vacation. LOL

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
I found the movie at the local library. Seems a little "fishy" to me as I think I would have remember at least the girl not being on the boat.
Ya' dug up an old, old post my friend. But what the heck. I enjoyed the movie. I loved all the "Discovery Channel' Sharkwee facts the guy relates to his girlfriend. I also thought it was very realistic -

A 'little fishy' about leaving a diver in the ocean? Apparently, it happens frequently. Take a look at any of these links:

http://nicolehowley.visionsmartnews.com/california-scuba-diver-wins-168m-after-left-alone-floating-in-the-ocean_2917.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/10/two-divers-say-their-charter-left-them-behind-3-miles-off-shore/1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Eileen_Lonergan

The last link is likely the basis for the movie.

·
Whose House? Coog's House!!!
12,609 Posts
Well thanks for saving me......um........lets see...(thinking $7 x's 2 for tix, $6 for food and drinks and $20 for a sitter).....40 bux, it sure does look good on the t.v tho.
This post shows how old this thread is, $7 for a movie. I wish!

·
Shut up and fish!
2,464 Posts
This post shows how old this thread is, $7 for a movie. I wish!
lol, I first started reading " I took the wife to see Open Water" and I was thinking what 3rd world country is just now showing Open Water????? Then I saw this thread was 10 years old!!!! One worst movie ever made.

·
Registered
12,274 Posts
lol, I first started reading " I took the wife to see Open Water" and I was thinking what 3rd world country is just now showing Open Water????? Then I saw this thread was 10 years old!!!! One worst movie ever made.
It wasn't bad for a low budget movie as it cost $500,000 to make. I think they broke even and maybe made a little money from the DVD sales.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts