2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at stake was whether the moratorium on commercial fishing licenses stays or goes. I gave testimony at both to go with Alternative 4. Written testimony can still be snail mailed in, for anyone interested. Everytime I hear complaints about how the "commercial sector gets more than their share", I point to these hearings as the reason why. No recs were there, CCA wasn't there, RFA wasn't there, just me and one commercial guy who pretty much cancelled each other out. They said we were the first two to give testimony in the last 3 meetings. What a shame.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
That is too bad. They dont have any of these meetings in SA do they? I would definately go and that would make it five of us. :) I would make the kids speak too.

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only imagine the effect of filling that room with folks wanting to continue the moritorium on issuing commercial fishing licenses for the Gulf. Instead, the folks holding the meeting outnumbered the attendees.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would have gone if I had known. I would like the opportunity to voice my opion on the issue. Do you have a site I can go to for the snail mail address?

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted it on TTMB, and the gulf council has a mailing list you can get on at http://gulfcouncil.org. I was actually so disappointed last night I yanked my own post on TTMB about it.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Mont Im sorry for you and the sea to hear about this. Again where all do they hold these meetings? I hope to move some where up around your neck of the woods soon and when I do Ill go with ya and fight the good fight brother. I saw your post but Im (to be truthful) new to the REAL conservation issues, so when somthing like this comes up do me a big help and spell it out for me. Again sorry for you and the sea, but thanks for going and defending yours and Im sure alot of other people beliefs (even if they didnt go)..................later,Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
Getting the word out

Mont:
Is there a way for members who want notice of such events to join a list on the TTMB board that could then become the email distribution list for future notices. That would be even more reliable than checking postings.

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will post NMFS meetings here from now on.

For those that don't know it, I am a sitting member on the Gulf Council Red Snapper Advisory Panel. Fancy title, but what it boils down to is helping our fisheries managers, actually manage. That means, showing up at hearings.

By law, the hearings are recorded, transcribed and made into written public testimony. TPWD holds similar hearings and I am willing to bet me, Lance Robinson, Bobby Miller, and one commercial guy have sat through a world record amount of them. To testify, all you do is fill out a card up front, wait to be called, and try to select one of the Alternatives being presented. Last night, there were 4 of those Alternatives, and IMHO only the one to end the moritorium wasn't good for the fishery.

Most times, the biologists will give their side of it, and if you truely care for the fishery, listen to what they want to do and then help them out by giving testimony as to going that route. For sure, if you have other views, please give those too. It's just like voting, only a little different format, and I promise, no one will make fun of you, or think less of you if you happen to stumble while on the stand. If it's complicated stuff, I always write it down, and just read it, then give what I just read to the staff to make it easy on them. If I can do it, anyone can, and at the end, when it's all over, you can ask the staff most any question and get real time answers. They are just regular folks like us.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Cool big guy thanks for the input on this. I hope more people show up next time..........later,Dave

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ToTuff said:
I have been in the past, but it appears to decisions about the Snapper season were made long before I got there!!!
like I said, it's kinda like voting, it don't always go your way, but at least you made your voice heard.

On the snapper subject, the latest stock assessment is still being evaluted. NMFS has finally figured out snapper of a certain length doesn't mean they are of a certain age. They are still having discussions about all that, but if it goes our way, we might actually see a bit longer season one of these years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How about encouraging everyone to come out and participate at these meetings before they occur rather than bash everyone for not attending after the fact?

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bucktail said:
How about encouraging everyone to come out and participate at these meetings before they occur rather than bash everyone for not attending after the fact?
I put a post on TTMB about the meeting, and haven't bashed anyone. Did you get notice of an upcoming presidential election? Did you get notice of the last day to register for that election? It's no different, with NMFS meetings, except all you have to do is show up. I was there. Period.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"No recs were there, CCA wasn't there, RFA wasn't there...What a shame..."

I would call that bashing.

And, there is an infinite amount of difference between the notice provided for a presidential election and a public hearing on a minor government agency who at most published notice of the hearing in the Galveston Daily News and their web site. Sorry, but this hearing has not been discussed for the last 18 months on FOX News.

By the way, how did you hear of the hearing?

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bucktail said:
"No recs were there, CCA wasn't there, RFA wasn't there...What a shame..."by the way, how did you hear of the hearing?
that's not bashing, that's a statement of fact. In fact, one rec was there, that was me. I heard about the hearing by checking http://gulfcouncil.org which is where the latest regulations are posted for us offshore types. Been fishing lately? Did you get your notice that your fishing license expired? You seem intent on blaming me for your ignorance, in which case, I accept it.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Mont, didnt you know it was your job to inform the masses? I am disapointed in you, you should have told us...... ;)

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Ya MOnt you really droped the ball this time, **** dude ROTFLMFAO................later,Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts