2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there is was 4:45 am i was sitting at smitty's waiting on Jan, who should have been here already. Called her and found out i should just go over to the island and meet up with scott. He had the boat in the water and bait ready to go as soon as the person with the airrator showed up. Well Jan made it finally and with that we headed out to fish the surf. The boat ride was nice and the water looked great. At the first spot Jan and Shawn were freelining croakers and i was popping a shrimp, the bite was slow. Then Jan had a taker, She rared back and set the hook on wat seemed to be a large trout at first. She got it to the boat only to see a new state record Hard Head. Jan did not want to take a pic of it but we convinced her that if she was going to get the tittle then she needed proof. ( Jan Insert Pic here please ) While this tom foolery was going on i missed one. The I missed another when the hook found the anchor rope up by the boat. Then shawns rod doubled over. After a 30 min fight a monster 36 1/2" red was caught photoed and released. ( Jan insert Pic here ). We contacted Mike and team stringer came over but they did not stay long. After that a school of pup sharks moved in so we moved on. By this time my ribs were starting to hurt from all the laughing and fun we were having. So this impaired my casting ability and i flung my cork off. We made another stop at the jetties for lunch and to watch the fun that is to be had on a nice saturday at the Jetties. We decided to move in to east bay. On the way in we stopped and trolled the weed line the streched from the boat cut to the dike. We did not catch any thing so we moved on (J/K about the troll) In east bay the ribbing got bad and the bite got slower, if that possible. Shawn did manage a 13" flounder and we decided it was time to go to the beach. We loaded the boat and went to Shawns Beach house. Got the Jet ski ready and hit the sand. Jan and i Decided to go down the beach and wade while shawn hung out. This is where jan earned here new nick name. She managed to catch and release over 15 Hard Heads. She wanted to keep some for dinner but they were too small. I guess she wanted a wall hanger to match the record fish she had earlier, but she never found it. She did how ever manage to catch a 3 spined slime trout that was barely bigger then her hook. Well we called it and went to hang out. Shawn let me take the jet ski out and that was a hoot. who would have thought going 50 mph in a lawn chair with handle bars would have been fun.... Well After that Jan headed home and we headed to the party that was going on up at the house. I tried again in the surf the next day with no luck. I was throwing hardware and the shrimp chuckers were landing Hardheads so i decided to go back to the house for some coffee and Breakfast. Thank you to shawn and his family for the great time and hospitality. and thankyou to Jan for the many laughs. I managed to catch a skunk but it was the best time i have had on the water in awhile.

Josh

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Hmmm, that's one version of the events

Let's see what Shawn posts up before I reply. Wouldn't want to steal my own thunder. LOL.

Here is Shawn and his catch. What a fight and what a fish!

PS. I had a great time too Josh. I love to laugh and we had just the right combo of people yesterday to laugh all day long.

Jan

Attachments

·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bobby It was good meeting you too.

Jan, come on post up the pic, its not like nobody on here catches hard heads.

Josh

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great times dont always involve a lot of catching. Sounds like a nice trip to me. My dad, Brother and I hit the Sea Rim Surf with finger mullet and shrimp under popping corks. Had a good time, but only caught a 4ft Bull shark, 36 inch red, and 1 measly speck. Check this picture out from this weekend. I cant figure out how it happened. My dad put on a large finger mullet to get away from the hardheads and I had just finished saying that he wouldn't catch one on that big finger mullet and Ill be darn if he didn't catch the smallest one of the day on it. I made him come to the truck for a picture of it. Lots of laughs..

Hardheads were thick this weekend, I was catching them several at a time sometimes in the cast net. Thats when you know its getting bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Indeed we had a nice day on the water despite getting a *ahem* late start.

Jan DID catch a monster hardhead. Josh held it up in front of her and I snapped the pic. Too bad the pic was on Jan's camera...she'll never lower herself enough to actually admit to catching it.

I didn't look at the tide chart but found out later that Saturday was a one tide day...no wonder we didn't catch nothing. Duh! Oh well.

We eventually hit the beach...I relaxed and played with the jetski. Josh and Jan fished a little more. I didn't witness Jan's HH catching prowess in the surf, but did see the look on her face when Josh told me about...so it probably did happen as described.

M neighbor's party was kickin and the band started pumping out some good tunes. Everythign from "Barefootin'" to "mustang sally". They ended the evening with a Hendrix style National Anthem...though not near as good as RD would have done. For the first time in years, the cops didn't show up and shut down the band. It was a great day and evening.

Hey Josh, how 'bout that 10 day old freezer burned hamburger?

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
"Jan DID catch a monster hardhead. Josh held it up in front of her and I snapped the pic. Too bad the pic was on Jan's camera...she'll never lower herself enough to actually admit to catching it."

Come on Jan,......I wanna see if it rivals the MONSTER hard head my sister caught last weekend. Like Neverenough said.....we ALL have hardheads ......oops I meant CATCH hardheads....LOL

KC

·
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Burgers on the grill

Shawn,
I got home and was looking through the freezer trying to decide what i was going to cook, and i came across a bag of the most frost bitten brown chunk of ice covered meat i have ever seen. I held on to it for the next party, i needs another year under its belt to get the flavor just right anyway.

Josh

Jan,
I was going to leave your new nick name out of this but if you refuse to let the world know about your new state record then i will be forced to let it slip....

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Boys, boys, boys,

Now let's be nice to ole FC. I have a few other less than flattering images (of OTHER PEOPLE) that I am holding back on. Let's just move on past the weekend and plan our next trip. Wait, I don't know if I can handle all another day of laughing MAO so soon!

Jan

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Cmon Jan

we aint that easy. Lets see it and get it over with. LOL It happens to the best, just ask Fishnut about his corky/hardhead story in Sabine. It happens.

Zac

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
It really was bigger than that. Somehow it looks alot smaller than it really was. I was gonna grab the scale, but it was in the hatch behind Jan and she wouldn't move.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts