2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Smokin' a GULP!
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in another thread, I have yet to see anyone bring up this idea. Wouldn't a jetty system solve the beach erosion problem while at the same time making a great fishing spot EVEN BETTER?

Please chime in your thoughts, I really can't see a reason this couldn't work as a great compromise!!! But then again, mine thought is just one point of view.

Be real, I'm a big boy and can handle criticism. It's just an idea.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
That would be using common sense. The government does not use that. I think it would be a great ideal. They have them in Galveston.
This has been going on for almost a year. Jettys were talked about a long time ago. They don't work in Galveston. That is why they are always dumping sand on the beach in front of the BIG hotels. Then of course the big jettys work good too. I never see a dredging machine in the ship channel.(sarcasm)

There have been several studys done on the different effects that closing and putting jettys at rollover and they all said from what I heard that closing it is the only thing that will save the beaches on Bolivar and also help the beaches on Galveston.

I wished they would leave it open. I would, in time, have my own beachfront property.:rotfl:

·
Registered
121 Posts
i don't think the jetties really work for erosion well. last year the city of Galveston spent like 14 million putting down sand. They did it the year before Ike too, so it wasn't necessarily due to the hurricane. I live in Galveston and see the sand wash away just a couple of weeks after it is put down.

In cameron, LA (holly beach) area, they have breakwaters. Long piles of rock spaced out a few hundred yards from the shore. Seems to have saved the old highway that runs through there...for now. Can't fish from them though. They need something out there in Bolivar won't be long before that entire highway follows the way of old 87.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Beach erosion is a concern, but I believe the real problem is the silting in of the Intracoastal due to the pass. Which requires dredging to keep it from impeding barge traffic.

You need to have a solution that solves that problem 1st.

Break water might be an option. Need to find studies on the resluts of using them.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
It has been awhile but if I remember right back before they put the geo tubes in there was a study done. Even sent people to Fla and different places to see about the breakwaters about 2 to 400 yards out. They did say they would work but then decided to put in the geo tubes instead because they were cheaper.

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Gravedigger

The work that was done at Holly Beach makes too much sense thats why we will never do it here. The cost to construct those breakwaters or whatever you call them has to be a fraction of what it cost to replace sand every time you have a storm. For those not familar with the rocks of Holly Beach do a google earth search and you will see what Gravedigger is talking about. Keep in mind these rocks were put down after Rita so you can easily see they are doing what they were intended to do in a short amount of time. The good part about it is if a storm comes along and washes the sand away, it will only be a short time and mother nature will rebuild it, for free! Gater

1 - 8 of 8 Posts