2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at the Nikon 3x9x40 for 149.00 vrs. the Leupold for 199.00

Would either of these be considered going overboard? Is the Leupold really that much better? I looked through both and they seemed to both be great scopes.
But I've never owned a good or even decent scope so could use some direction.

Also, is there a good place online to view guns and compare average prices?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Leupold for the warranty if nothing else. The Leupold scopes are as good as you will find made in the US since John Unertl passed on and Leupold has the best warranty of any scope out there. As long as you don't do something like run over the scope with a truck, they will fix what ever goes wrong and probably not charge you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess everyone likes Leupold. Thanks for your opinions.

Could you guys list scoped in order of quality and include Nikon, Pentax, Simmons, and any other major brand.

I need a backup in case I do not have the money for the Leupold.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Only problem with Leupold now is that both they and Nikon have come out with a cheaper line that will fool some folks. You really do get what you pay for in scopes. Stay with the 3x9x40 size. Look at at Leupold VX2's and Nikon Monarchs for an upgrade, or Bushnell 3200 Elite against a Leo VX1 or an Elite 4200 against a Leo VX2 or Nikon Monarch. In a typical store setting you will not be able to see the differences between most scopes. Burris Signature Series is also top of the line in quality. Pentax is a good brand but Simmons is just another Japanese volume line like a lower end Bushnell. Bushnell's Elite Series are the the same scope as the old Bauch & Lomb high dollar scopes as B&L now owns Bushnell. I shoot a Swift 4x12x40 A/O Premier grade in the same price range as an upper grade Simmons and like it a lot. I pounded the **** out of it trying to make a 300 Weatherby shoot straight, thought I had a bad scope but discovered I had a bad rifle, mounted the Swift on a Winchester M70 in 338 WMg shot it some more and now it sits on my go to all around 270 and has never given me any thought about its quality because I like the way it focus's and has taken a beating...not bad for a $149 scope! I'll probably mount another Swift 2x7x40 on my 300 WMg pig sticker. All the scope lines I've mentioned have a lifetime warranty...some are just easier to get service out of than others - like Burris - but nobody beats Leopold & Stevens on service in my experience. I shipped a old style VariXII in for service in March and got it back in 3 weeks no questions asked..I paid freight one way and they paid the freight back! Good Luck
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts