2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One Day I will Catch a Keeper?
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to my Mother today and they have decided to move my Grandmother to Hospice. She has been in the Hospital for three months battling Colon Cancer Surgery. The Cancer has been totally removed, but she is well one day and acting strange the next. I have been there and so has my siblings and a few family members. But, I must say that my Aunt in Katy has some kind of nerve, stating that she works all the time and can not come see her mother. And then she blogs on Facebook about what she did at the bar with her girlfriends that night. I want to say something and call her out in front of the family, but I think I will wait for this to be over before I call her out on her blog. Can anyone tell me about Hospice and should I stop what I am doing or is this just a time where she might get better?

Alex
aka CornBread

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Spend as much time as you can with your Grandmother. Don't worry about your Aunt, it don't matter

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Hospice is where people go to die. This decision is made when all other medical options have been exhausted & there is no more quality of life. Once the patient has been accepted into a hospice environment, death is expected in 24-72 hours in most cases. I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news, it seems that you needed a clearer understanding of just what hospice care is. I've been an RN for 16 years & have transitioned hundreds of patients into hospice care. If you need to speak with a hospice care liasion, I would recommend contacting Solari Hospice. They are the best in the business & would be willing to help you with unanswered questions you might have.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Hospice

Bless Them.............

I have been through this with both of my parents & the Hospice folks are the best....

We (family) could not have done this on our own as well as they steered us. they gave us suggestions/recommendations & never made the decision, just guided us.

Hospice gave us great (read unemotional) alternatives which turned out to be right on the money at each crisis we encountered...

Thanks to the Hospice folks............

Supergas

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Been there

Spend as much time as you can with your Grandmother. Don't worry about your Aunt, it don't matter
X2
Don't waste your energy on your aunt.Concentrate your energy on your GM. My MIL was sent home from the hospital last February with in-home hospice, twice daily visits. Same thing, one day good, next day bad. One big seesaw. Bad days gradually got worse until she passed in August.
Hospice is the humane method of end of life care, it's just that no one knows when the end will come.
If or when your aunt comes around, welcome her. Everyone will be needed.
We will all pray for peace and strength in your family.

God bless.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Totally agree with Bill! I lost my Dad to cancer, I cannot say enough good and kind words about Hospice. They are non-profit and get every bit of my "what I can donate to a good cause" money.

BTW - Just because Hospice is involved does not mean that she will pass in a certain amount of time, but spend time with her now so you don't regret that you didn't later.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
I agree with most of the other posts. Hospice is when it's getting close to the end of life. In-home hospice can go on for months. Hospice otherwise is usually a week or less.
All you can control is how you handle the situation. Spend time with your GM. Your aunt may be coping the only way she knows how. It could be complete denial and distance from the situation. Be strong and do the right thing. Remember to have no regrets. No worries about "I should of this" or "I should of that". You can't say "I love you" too many times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts