2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into the possibility of installing an On-Board Battery Charger on my dual battery bank. I just don't know what amp is needed or required. I am running FM and VHF radios and Lowrance 334 during along with the live well each outing. Should I look for a 5 amp, 8 amp or 10. Of course each has their price differences.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Doesn't matter what your running. Its not going to charge them under way. Thats what the alernator on your motor is for, if I'm understanding you correctly. I have a triple bank on-board charger on mine (6amp Guest) and I plug it in when I'm done fishing and it takes about 4 hrs to have my batteries completely charged. Obvisouly the higher the amperage the faster the charge. Although the lower the amperage the better the charge from what I have read.

On my bass boat I had a double bank and a single bank and amperage was 2A's and by morning my batteries were completely topped off.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I just got a new Minn Kota 2 bank charger from Academy it was less than the Quest from Boaters World and has a longer warranty. It is heavy at 12.4 lbs and I did not mount it in the boat if I travel I can always take it with me so I thought no need to add weight or take up space in the boat. Also cut the eyes off and put on clips. I have easy access to my batteries.

Good Luck, Ken

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just ordered the Cabella's 2 bank, and it sends the most charge to the weakest battery, so it says. I am anxious to try it out. The monitoring electronics in the newer chargers are worth the cost.

Bogey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.