2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone out there tell me if the Penn Slammer SLC-2910 is a conventional type rod or a spinning rod? I've found one for sale online, but can't quite tell from the pics - and searches of "Penn SLC 2910" come up blank on all the typical search engines. I'm looking for a rod for my Penn Jigmaster, and the price is right on this one. I have e-mailed the seller, but haven't heard back yet. Thanks for any replies.

joe l.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's a conventional rod. The "C" in SLC stands for conventional. The spinning rods are SLS. Hurry up and order or you'll be SOL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one of those rods. Its a good one for Squidder size reels and should be all right for a Jigmaster. If the rod is the one curently on Ebay, I was looking at it myself but since I have already won a Penn 11'3" Spinfisher convetional. I wasn't all that sure about bidding on. If you want it I won't bid against you, the rod and sand spike together for less than 45 bucks would be a good buy. I got my Slammer for 35 dollars and consider it a great deal. I hate to let it pass but I have more rods than I need and this gives me a chance to bid on a spare spool for my jigmaster instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info fellas. I kinda figured the "C" stood for conventional, but couldn't find a list of older Penn models anywhere online to confirm it. The reply I got from the seller was kinda odd. He wrote:

"Spinning to me means you can strap a kick butt reel with heavy line and a heavy lure. Casting is putting a tiny spider web of a line with a teeny tiny reel and a speck of a lure. So in my mind this is a spinning rod. See the 850SS or 706z I had in the other auction which is what I used to put on this rod."

Makes it sound to me like he had a spinning reel on a conventional rod.

Garfisher, don't let me stop you from bidding - I'm not convinced I'm even going to bid yet. I need to make up my mind whther or not to get that type of rod, or a Penn Spinfisher BigGame conventional. Or I may still consider the Ticas. Won't be going on vacation until August, so there's no rush for me. Good luck if you bid on it - looks like several others are watching it as well.

Thanks again guys.
joe

·
Registered
43 Posts
Joe for the money Tica is a hard rod to beat. I have a 12' XH that is sweet with any reel from Squidder to 4/0. I haven't recieved my Spinfisher Big Game yet but the rod seems very similar to the Diawa Sealine-X rods, which are very slim and light rods but with plenty of backbone, great for regular surf fishing.
What I liked about the Penn Slammer is being an older composite rod its tough and can handle abuse a little better than striaght graphite. Its good a good balance and a little shorter than aveage butt to reel seat length that makes it more bearable to hold in your hands for a period of time than a full legnth surf rod. However a 10ft Tica will cast circles around it I'm sure.
For a backup at for a third of the price of a new rod its ok, it does out perform a 12ft Ugly Stik heavy I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts