2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old School 2cool
7,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I really am getting old! I picked up a cheap scooter in non-running condition in an efforet to cut the gasoline bills around here. It's a 1978 Suzuki GS 1000 and I'm really pleased with the condition this 28 year old scoot is in. It spent most of it's life in Missouri, has only 11k on it and not a speck of corrosion. The bike has been garage kept and hasn't been registered in six years. Naturally the first thing I'm looking at is new tires since the old ones are obviously dried out. Back in my day tire selection was much simpler. A 4.00X18 was simply 4 inches wide and went on an 18" rim. This bike has a 4.00X18" rear tire and will easily accomodate a 4.25-4.50" tire. While shopping / re-learning online I saw that they no longer reference tire size using the ols "alpha" system. I'm "thinking" I need a 190/20V18 to achieve what I'm trying to achieve . Am I reading the conversion charts correctly? Any help much appreciated, Guy

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,271 Posts
I purchased a brand new off the showroom floor 1980 Suzuki GS 1100 L...... at the time it was the fastest production MC made, would run low 11's from the factory.... I rode it like a dirt bike, 80mph wheelies, long smoky burnouts, had a blast on that bike, then put cams, smoothbore carbs, a 4 into 1 header, and got it down to running high 9's.... Took it down to SantaFe every weekend, sometime's just to showoff, would wheelie the whole track at well over 120mph..... I also would ride a wheelie all the way thru the Baytown tunnel.... Man that header was friggin loud in the tunnel...lol.... I'm lucky that I'm still alive.... Whew, those were the days..... Got some pics at my office of Badhabit wheelies on that bike, remind me to show ya sometime....

·
Charter Member
6,653 Posts
Well D, I don't know about 1980 but in 1985 THIS was the fastest factory bike in America. Honda V-65 Magna. 1100cc, shaf drive, 6-speed enough touque to fly me like a flag from start to top end. If you ever had the pleasure of riding one then you know what I mean. ;)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.